Chapter 26.

The Summer I Turned Pretty

Y/n had finally awoken from her nap as she hears knocking — groaning as she felt the painful pounding that was her head, Y/n let out a groggy 'Come in.'

The door squeaks open as John enters, a beverage in his hand with a plate of pizza. "Hey, there." John greets softly, shutting the door behind him quietly. "How's my little lemon?" John asked, sitting himself on the bed.

"Little lemon is exhausted." Y/n replied, sighing heavily as she sits herself up. "Oh, god. My head."

"Is Susannah really mad at me?" Y/n quickly asked, worry in her tone. John tilts his head, "She could never be mad at you."

Y/n sighed as she looked away, "Well, mom probably is."

"She'd be one to talk." John told his daughter, "I remember one July Fourth when Susannah rented a margarita machine.." John whistled, laughing softly.

Y/n grinned, laughing quietly. "Here. This helps." John said, handing his daughter a plate of pizza. "Trust me, the bread and grease are your friends."

Y/n took the pizza into her mouth — munching on it lazily. "You know," Y/n sets her pizza down, "I can't really picture mom drunk."

"Well, it didn't happen often. But, when it did — look out." John breaths out, laughing softly. "Do you still love her?" Y/n asked quietly, hesitance in her voice.

"Um. I think I'll always be a little bit in love with your mom." John admitted, bitter-sweetness on his face. Y/n furrowed her brows in confusion, "But, um, she stopped being in love with you?"

John shook his head slowly, "It's not that simple. Um, sometimes people change. They grow in different directions. It doesn't mean they stopped loving each other."

Y/n stared at her father, understanding his words whole heartedly. "Where is mom?" Y/n asked. "She left. I think she and Susannah had some kind of fight." John guessed.

Y/n's eyes widened, "What?"

"Don't worry. They'll work it out, they always do." John reassured, "Come on. Eat up."

Y/n slowly nodded as she took the pizza into her hand, shoving it into her mouth hungrily.

Hours had passed since Y/n that talk with her dad. She hadn't seen her Belly, Steven, Jeremiah, or really anyone since then.

She thought it be best to just eat again before she went and swam.

"Hi." Y/n greeted upon seeing her mother. "Jesus." Laurel said, jumping back. "What are you doing?"

"I'm just eating before I go and swim." Y/n explained, sighing as she's shoved more food into her mouth. "Where were you?"

Laurel sighed, "Just went for a drive."

Y/n stared at her mom, "Aren't you going to yell at me? Tell me that I should know better?"

"Do you want me to yell at you?" Laurel asked, raising a brow. "No." Y/n answered, chuckling softly. "I want us to go back in time. So that I didn't barge in on Conrad showering." Y/n had regret written all over her face.