Chapter 5.

The Summer I Turned Pretty

"Steven, I swear to god if you look at that phone one more time — I'm putting it in the screen basket." Laurel threatened, eyes never wavering from her plate full of food.

"What? But — Y/n's using hers too!" Steven said, pointing accusingly at his sister.

Y/n quickly hid her phone from her mothers view. "What? I don't have a phone, Steven." Y/n tilted her head innocently. Steven glared at his sister as a grimace settled onto his face.

"We just want to see your beautiful faces." Susannah told the two siblings, "Can dinner be a screen-free zone? — you know, like the olden days?"

"Steven." Jeremiah called out, seeing as his friend had gone back to looking at his phone.

"Miah." Y/n whispered, catching the blondes attention. "Grab his phone." Y/n mouthed, a sly grin gracing her lips.

Jeremiah smirked in understanding and nodded before looking back at his friend, giving him a once over before quickly snatching the phone from Steven's grasp and shooting it into the basket behind Y/n — successfully making it in.

"Are you kidding me!" Steven exclaimed.

"Boom! Nailed it!" Jeremiah happily exclaimed, giving a high-five to Y/n, who sat across from him.

"Okay, okay, okay. We get it. You've been working out." Steven said in annoyance with a mix of
playfulness in his tone.

"Oh, you're just jealous 'cause Jere has a better body than you." Belly told her brother, smirking.

"Uh, no. It's actually all about the lean look, now. Otherwise, you can't wear tailored suits." Steven corrected, making everyone around the table laugh.

"Tailored suits." Conrad repeated softly, smiling.

"When do you leave for training camp, huh?" Steven suddenly asked, leading everyone's attention to now be on Conrad, but he could only stay silent — he knew Steven would eventually ask him that overbearing question, he just wished it couldn't have been at dinner.

"Uh, he quit football." Jeremiah told Steven, speaking for Conrad.

"Wh — wait, really? You quit?" Steven questioned, a confused look on his face.

"Mm-hm." Conrad hummed, nodding absentmindedly.

"Are you kidding me, man? I'd — I'd kill to play college football." Steven firmly said.

"He can always change his mind." Susannah assured, looking at her son.

"I'm not gonna change my mind." Conrad firmly told his mother, "I'd just sit on the bench, anyways."

"Well, if you're not gonna play football anymore — what are you going to do all summer?" Laurel asked, brows knitted together in worry.

Conrad shrugged in response.

"Oh, dude. You could work at the club." Steven told Conrad, "Yeah. Where me and Jere are."

Conrad shook his head with a huff, "I'm not working at the club."

"Wait. You guys are working this summer?" Belly questioned.

"Yeah! I'm lifeguarding and Steven's working at the snack-shack." Jeremiah informed, fist bumping with Steven.

Y/n furrowed her brows, thinking about working herself. She never did anything here in Cousins but swim, eat, play round with the boys, watch rom-com movies with her sister while crying because she has no love life and then repeat.