Chapter 21.

The Summer I Turned Pretty

"Morning, Miah." Y/n greeted, briefly smiling. "Morning, Darling." Jeremiah greeted back, smiling as he stirred the honey in his drink.

"Want one?" Jeremiah asked, scooting his drink towards Y/n. Y/n took the glass cup into her grasp, chugging the green beverage.

Jeremiah chuckled, "Okay. I take it you haven't made up with Tay-Tay or Belly?"

"Nope." Y/n curtly replied, shaking her head. "We haven't talked since last night plus I slept on the floor." Y/n admitted, rubbing her temples.

"Mm." Jeremiah hummed. "Here." Jeremiah scooted the glass of milk and bowl towards Y/n. "Thanks, Miah." Y/n gratefully said, sighing heavily through her nose.

Jeremiah quietly cursed as he notices Belly walk into the kitchen. Y/n glanced to her side — noticing it was her sister, she averted her eyes. Stuffing her mouth with cereal.

"Morning, Jere." Belly greeted, ignoring her sister's existence. "Uh. Morning, Belly Button." Jeremiah greeted back, smiling at the girl.

Y/n burped loudly, making Belly and Jeremiah look at her. Y/n shrugged, wiping her mouth.

"So, uh, when does Taylor leave?" Jeremiah asked, looking between the twins. "In a couple hours." Belly answered, "She's upstairs packing now."

Y/n sighed, "Miah, you wanna go on a muffin run? I — I want to get out of this house."

"Anything for you, Darling. Especially, I'm always down for a muffin run." Jeremiah said, winking at the girl. Y/n nodded, though, she noticed Belly looking at her in the corner of her eye.

"Would you like to come, Belly?" Y/n asked, looking at her sister. "No." Belly curtly replied, turning away from Y/n.

Y/n clenched her jaw, nodding.

Jeremiah cleared his throat, "I'm going to make a to-go cup. Would you mind grabbing the keys from Conrad's room?"

Y/n glanced towards her sister who had her head slightly turned — obviously listening in on their conversation.

"Yeah, sure." Y/n stood up, "Uh, is he home?"

"No. He spent the night at Nicole's." Jeremiah informed. Y/n blinked before looking away, "Oh, okay. Uh, do you know where he keeps the keys?"

"Um. They should be in his desk." Jeremiah told Y/n. Y/n nodded in understanding before turning around and making her way upstairs.

As Y/n opened Conrad's door, her scent was filled with those good kinds of laundry detergent that smelled almost like flowers.

Y/n smiled at the thought of Conrad smelling like flowers.

Stop it.

Just get the keys, Y/n.

Y/n sighed as she listened to herself — quickly making her way towards Conrad's organized desk. Opening the first drawer, Y/n noticed a pack of cigarettes, trash, and—

"A condom? ugh." Y/n voiced her disgust before she continued searching for the keys — only, she found a black box.

Y/n became curious, wondering what was in the box. As Y/n was about to open it, she had stopped herself.

"No. No matter how much I want to see. I can't. It's none of my business." Y/n told herself, inhaling sharply.

Y/n began to stare at the small box in her hand before she quickly gave in. "Fuck it. He won't even know." Y/n grumbled, opening the small box.

Y/n stared at the necklace — glaring at the horizontal 8 that was placed perfectly in the middle. Y/n's hardened expression soon softened.

At least he remembered infinity.

Doesn't he realize, for him, I would travel endlessly around these curves?

Y/n sighed as she briefly shut her eyes and opened it — quickly closing the box and putting it back in Conrad's drawer.

Y/n soon spotted the keys she had been meant to be looking for and grabbed it.

Y/n stared out of the open window, liking how the cool breeze whipped into her face — though, it didn't soften the hardened look that was still on Y/n's face.

Jeremiah's seemed to notice Y/n's saddened behavior, "You okay, Darling?"

Y/n huffed as she turned towards Jeremiah, "I just — I don't get Conrad this summer."

"Why? Is it because he forgot your birthday present?" Jeremiah questioned, laughing a bit. "No. I'm not that petty about that anymore. It's because he's been acting weird since the first day we got here." Y/n explained.

"Yeah, trust me, he's been weird for months." Jeremiah informed, "Just forget him."

Forget him?

That's so easy — not like I live with him.

Jeremiah sighed, "Look, I'm — I'm happy you invited Jonesy last night. He's a cool dude."

"Um. How's your relationship been doing so far?" Jeremiah asked, glancing at Y/n. "Mm. Great, really great." Y/n absentmindedly replied, "Although, it's been doing too great. Don't you think, Miah?"

"Uh. I think you should stop overthinking." Jeremiah smiled, "But, no. I honestly don't think your relationship doing too great is a bad thing. You guys might last even when summer ends."

Y/n sighed heavily, "Yeah. I guess."

"Okay. You don't sound too enthusiastic over what I said." Jeremiah chuckled, glancing at Y/n. "I don't know — or I don't know what's wrong with me." Y/n groaned, leaning her head on the head rest.

"I just feel like something bad is going to happen soon."

Jeremiah was about to speak but Y/n had quickly cut him off.

"You know, Nicole really likes Conrad." Y/n stated, "And if he's not into her, that's just messed up on his part."

Jeremiah sighed heavily — earning Y/n's attention, "What?"

Jeremiah scoffed a laugh, "Nothing. It's — it's just last night, you were all about Atlas Jonesy and today you can't stop obsessing over Conrad."

Y/n scoffed, "What's with the attitude, Jeremiah?"

"Did things not go well with Luke last night?" Y/n teasingly questioned, poking at Jeremiah's side. Jeremiah laughed as he tried swatting the girl's prodding hands away.

"Actually, things went really well." Jeremiah admitted, smiling cheekily at Y/n. "Oh, my best friend has finally got himself a boy!" Y/n cheered, quietly whoo-ing.

Jeremiah laughed at Y/n's antics, "Wanna hear the details?

Y/n chuckled and shook her head. "You sure?" Jeremiah asked, raising a brow. "Shut up, Miah." Y/n hushed the boy, slapping his arm lightly.

Jeremiah smiled softly at the girl that sat beside him — happy to know he was the one to have made her smile and laugh.