- 𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

︎🅴︎🅿︎🅸︎🆂︎🅾︎🅳︎🅴︎ 🅵︎🅾︎🆄︎🆁︎

OVER BREAKFAST THE next day, Mike Wheeler wouldn't stop glancing up at Kali, eyes curious, like his sisterʼs, but also knowing. She didn't hold back from staring back at him with a look that should've warned him to move his eyes elsewhere, but he didn't. He didn't stop and it annoyed her.

"So, where's Cole today?" Karen asked kindly, smiling towards the girl, who had now grown familiar with their home.

Nancy gulped down her food and turned to Kali, a concerned expression on her face. She didn't want her to do something, hurt someone, and now without her little brother, Nancy wasn't sure what she'd do, especially if people were asking questions.

Kali didn't respond to the woman, though, and just looked at her instead, sending uneasy tension around the table.

Mike quirked his brows, going back to his food, and both girls glared at him.

༄༄༄

BEFORE SCHOOL, NANCY and Kali sat down to go over their gameplan for tonight. They'd wait until dark — that way, nobody would see Kali — and search the entire woods for Barb and Cole. It wasn't a good plan, exactly, nor was it a smart one, but it was all they had right now. In the meantime, Nancy would go to school and see if she could find anything else out and Kali would stay at the house, not murdering anyone.

"However, if Mike annoys you anymore, you can always get rid of him," Nancy added with a joking smile, causing both girls to chuckle, staring into nothing but each otherʼs eyes.

It was the first time Nancy had ever heard Kali laugh, and it was beautiful. She was learning so many new things about her, meeting so many different sides of her, and all she wanted to do was get closer, get to know all versions of the girl. She couldn't describe it, but Nancy felt attached to her. She never wanted to leave her, to let her go.

"Alright, well — school," Nancy said suddenly, shaking her head and snapping herself out of the thought spiral. She'd been staring at Kali for too long, she'd been smiling at her for too long, and it scared her. She didn't know what it was, she couldn't describe the feeling, but when Kali even just glanced at her — even if it was threatening and scary —, Nancyʼs stomach did several flips and she had to break eye contact before it grew even stronger.

Kali nodded, smiling. Actually smiling. "School."

༄༄༄