- 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

COLE WAS MISSING

COLE WAS MISSING. IT WAS the first thing Kali was told after she asked the question. Nancy told her that she'd been calling up all day about him, worrying and stressing over the boy, but she didn't have a clue where he was, however Mrs Henderson was going to call her back if she heard anything about either Cole or her son, Dustin, who was the last person the boy had been around.

"I bet it's Steve," said Kali furiously. "I bet that's who he's with."

"Why is Steve always your go-to?" Nancy asked, unable to keep a straight face at her girlfriendʼs bizarre assumption.

Kali shrugged, her lips set in a thin line. "I don't like him."

"Well, that's a lie," Nancy called her out. "Remember when you beat up Billy Hargrove for him?"

Kali shrugged again, refusing to admit she was fond of the boy. "It's not my fault he can't fight," she said, causing Nancy to chuckle. She shook her head. "Anyway, that's not the point. We have to find Cole."

"We have to get away from the Mind Flayer first," Jonathanʼs voice came, standing behind the girls. He nodded towards the other isles, eyes on his best friend. "Come on, El's gonna need your help."

Kali huffed, following them. Both her little siblings were at risk — Eleven was being targeted by the monster and Cole was gone. She hated the feeling of having no control, of not being able to protect them at all times. It was in her nature that she was a protective big sister, it was half of her personality — those kids were both a big part of her, and she needed to keep them safe at all times. She didn't like not knowing what was happening to them at all times. It sounded crazy and controlling, but being through what she went through, Kali felt the need to look after Eleven and Cole, because she couldn't stand the thought of them being pushed around the way she was. She wanted to make sure that their pain ended the moment they got free from the lab, and she hated the idea that their torture was still happening during their freedom.

She didn't like the thought of them becoming her. Cold. Heartless. Evil.

"We'll find him," Jonathan whispered, seeing the unease in his friend.

Kali didn't respond.

"Dustin!"

Jonathan smirked. "What did I tell you?"

Kali shook her head, running towards Mikeʼs voice, finding him beside Eleven, on his knees and sitting over his walkie-talkie.

"What happened?" Nancy asked.

"Was that Cole?" questioned Kali.

From the ground, Eleven nodded. "With Dustin."

"And Steve," added Mike.