- 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

“IT IS FASCINATING WHAT TWENTY bucks will get you at the County Reporterʼs Office," said Robin, laying out a large piece of paper over the table

“IT IS FASCINATING WHAT TWENTY bucks will get you at the County Reporterʼs Office," said Robin, laying out a large piece of paper over the table. "Starcourt Mall. The complete blueprints."

Cole raised his eyebrows, impressed.

"Not bad," remarked Dustin.

Robin nodded, pointing at the paper. "So, this is us, Scoops," she explained, her finger travelling over the route to the next place, "and this is where we want to get."

"I mean, I don't really see a way in," said Steve.

"There's not," Robin told him, flipping over the page. "If you're talking exclusively about doors."

Dustin smiled up at her. "Air ducts."

Robin grinned. "Exactly." She patted Cole on the shoulder, shaking him a little and making him smile. "And we've got our own little hero to squeeze his way through them." She jumped up and walked over to grab a pen from the whiteboard, circling all the key points on the blueprints. "Turns out, this secret room needs air just like any old room. And these air ducts lead all the way...here."

Steve nodded, his eyes shifting to the youngest member of their group. "You wanna do this, kid?" he asked.

Smiling, Cole nodded eagerly. He loved being included with all the key plans, and he loved the fact that Robin, Steve and Dustin never left him out of anything. Over the day, his anxiety over Kali had softened and that was all thanks to them. Of course, his big sister was still at the very top of his mind, but he was also still capable of having fun with his friends.

Kali would be okay. It was Kali. Cole would see her again tonight. She'd be home when he arrived, cooking dinner or arguing with Hopper, she'd sit up and play games with him all night, then she'd give him a cuddle before bed. Cole would see his sister later on. He would.

༄༄༄

INSIDE THE VENT, IT WAS hot and tight and overwhelming, and Cole felt as though he couldn't breathe. He got through easily, but he didn't last longer than a minute inside without feeling his heart rush and his lungs die.

"Hey, Cole?" Robin called after him, hearing the echoes of his distressed pants. "You okay?"

Cole pressed his hands against the vent, but there wasn't enough room to stretch. There wasn't enough room to do anything. Breathing was harder as he felt his surroundings more, realising how close together it all was. The more he looked at it, the more Cole was convinced it was shrinking. The metal walls were going to squeeze him, tighten against his bones and crush them. He was hot and sweaty and disgusted and he just needed to get out before it killed him.

"Kid?" Steve questioned.

Cole shook his head, though they obviously couldn't see that. His struggled breathing was so hard and heavy that it echoed and bounced off every tight wall that held him, so jumpy that anybody outside could hear.