- 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF minutes, everything was blurry

FOR THE NEXT COUPLE OF minutes, everything was blurry. Kaliʼs vision seemed to be dotted and her ears went in and out of sync every few seconds. Panic radiated through her bones as she watched Nancy freeze, being taken by Vecnaʼs curse. She was the only one still in the Upside Down, the only one left to help her, but she couldn't do anything. Kali hated it. She hated the feeling of not being able to save the people she loved. And she loved Nancy Wheeler. So much. More than anybody else in the world. She couldn't lose her. Not like she lost her dad and Cole.

"Come on," she muttered, growing frustrated. "Come on, come on, come on." She'd set the small cassette player up, putting the headphones over Nancyʼs ears. "Come on." Her nervous hands fumbled with the buttons as she raced against time to get the song playing. Once it did, Kali took in a deep breath and stepped back.

For moments, she waited. She waited for the music to kick in, for Nancy to be snapped out of her trance, but nothing happened. Nancyʼs eyes remained white, and nobody knew how much time she had left.

"Shit," Kali cursed, shaking her head. "Please, no."

From the other side, Steve could feel his heartbeat race a million miles a second. "Maybe it's not her favourite," he said, speaking fast so he didn't waste any time. "Do you know what is?"

Kali shook her head, biting on her bottom lip.

"Dancing Queen," Riley answered, her legs bouncing in panic. "She's loved ABBA since we were kids."

Dustin turned to Eddie. "You have it?"

"Of course I don't have it!" Eddie shouted.

"So you don't have any ABBA?" Robin questioned. "Any real music at all?"

Eddieʼs face could've never been more offended, and he lifted up the stacks of CDs in his hands. "THIS IS REAL MUSIC!"

"Shut up!" Kali ordered them sharply, eyes trained on Nancy. She could've sworn she saw her foot move. "Something's happening."

Everybody stopped what they were doing to stare. There was nothing they could do. Kali didn't want to touch the girl as she floated in the air, afraid that she may end up being the one to kill her. Her heart was flying, skipping nearly every beat, but all she could focus on was making sure Nancy didn't die on her.

"Come on, Nance," she whispered, feeling tears prick at her eyes.

Her foot twitched again and Kali inhaled a deep breath, forgetting that the rest of the world was around her. She remembered what Eddie said, how Chrissyʼs limbs snapped first, and for a second, it really felt like it was the end.

Kali shook her head another time. "I love you too," she whispered.

Then, there was a sudden gasp. Still hanging in the air, Nancy opened her wide eyes, shocked by the horror and secrets she'd just witnessed. Her body fell without any warning, and Kali was fast to catch her before she hurt herself, letting out a sigh of relief.