Chapter 1

The lights of the city seemed to be blinding as I rode past on my black bike to my destination. The crisp autumn air where I live has caused me to feel chills. I live in a small apartment up the street in Atlanta, Georgia. It isn't much and I don't have a lot of company but I don't mind. I have many jobs. I cover as an intern at the news station, draw a bunch for easy cash, and work at a small diner as a waitress. I just want to pay off my college debt and get a real job I would love.

I come back home, getting off my bike and walking up the stairs. A long, long metal flight of stairs. I walk through the hallways and grab out my keys to open the door. It was a long day and I just wanted to get some rest. Like I said, it is a small apartment and isn't much but I really meant it when I said it was small.

I open the door, revealing a small living room with a TV, desk, and a window with light sanding curtains. To the left of my view, there was my bedroom with another desk with a vase and flowers, a bed big enough for two, a bunch of cabinets and a wardrobe. Finally, on my right was the restroom with a small tub and shower with light blue curtains, a closet, a marble counter with the sink, and cabinets below.

I walk in, about to close the door behind me but the landlord comes up to me screaming. His gray eyes glaring and his black hair waving around. I Never liked this man. He was always taking people's money they 'owed' him. He had gray eyes, short black-gray tinted hair, a leather jacket, and ripped blue jeans.
"YOU!" He cries angrily. "YOU DIDN'T GIVE ME THE RENT YET! WHERE IS IT!" I have a few fifty dollars in my hand but that's for college. I try to put it away but he snatches all of it. I get out of my trance and gasp. I earned that money and that was way more than I owed him.

"HEY!" I shout at him but he starts to walk away. "That's over how much I have to pay you and that's for my college!" He turns at me and glares. I stop right in my tracks and just stare.
"Boo hoo, well kid sorry to tell you this but life isn't fair," He starts and tries to walk off. "Besides, you owe me for the noise you made last night." He was lying, I was out with my friends last night and we had sushi and talked outside. But I didn't protest at the Landlord. I'm afraid that if I do, he'll kick me out and I won't have anywhere to go.

I sigh in defeat and walk back into my apartment. I sit on the couch, exhausted from work and studies. I am trying to get into a college to help with medics because I had wanted to get good with medics in case of emergencies. Plus, I had another one where I studied to learn about biology and how to take care of animals, wild or domesticated. I had a normal childhood, you know, a mom, dad, sisters, brothers, and pets. I loved animals so this was a great career path start.

When I was very young, my dad divorced my mom but then my mom to mariedy my new dad. He already had kids so I had more siblings and everything was so fun. I went to school, made friends, moved, visited my biological dad, and wash, rinse, repeat. But now that I'm older and moved out, it seemed really lonely and I just needed a friend really.
I moved to a lovely city in Georgia called Atlanta, where I found one of the best colleges for medics and another for biology. I break from my thoughts, back in the present, when I stand from the couch and take the remote. I was bored, okay. I grab the long, colorful buttoned remote and watch as the black TV screen erupts with cartoons and small sounds. I always keep the volume down so I can not get in trouble with the landlord.

I flip through the channels and all of a sudden, the TV plays the Amber Alert noise and I couldn't help but feel terrible. There were a few crimes in the city and just Georgia itself. I remembered when I lived in Valdosta, Georgia and I found the old news of a boy at my brother's high school who was killed and hidden in a gym mat. The news was a shock when I saw the report but that happened years ago when I saw it.

I also remembered how the Amber Alert was created. It was a sad story of the little girl named Amber. She was kidnapped by a man in a car when she was riding her bike near an abandoned store. Once she was picked up, a man reported to the police about this but they couldn't find the kidnapper. The parents, obviously upset, wanted to make a way to find their daughter.