Chapter 20

Toby was making waffles while Ben and Silver were setting up video games. They were setting up Mario Kart since we weren't able to play last night. Silver floated to the couch and used telekinesis to get his controller. Ohhh, so that's how he will be able to play.
"So who's playing Mario Kart?" I asked Ben.
"Me, Silver, Jack, Jeff, Toby, and you," Ben said as he was setting the TV to the channel for the Wii. I took a controller and Sally got her waffles and sat at the table to watch us play. Jack and Toby finished eating their breakfast and sat down to play. Jeff was already sitting and had his controller in his hand.
"What cup should we start out with?" Silver asked. My obvious choice was the mushroom cup. We were going to do teams and the mushroom cup was one of the easiest ones for me. Mushroom gorge was a track where I set my record of two minutes and thirty two seconds.
"Mushroom cup please," I said. I was ready to win this. At the same time, Ben and Silver were video gamers so they could be one of the greatest at hacking. Ben, Silver, and Jeff were on a team so that left me with Jack and Toby in a team. Toby has turrets so it would be hard for him to play but it was okay. I don't really care if he makes us lose or not but I just want to have some fun with them.
We entered the screen where it showed our characters to pick from. Surprisingly, he unlocked all the characters. Back when I had this game, I wasn't able to unlock them all. There were about five or seven characters I still needed to unlock. I picked Rosalina while Jeff picked Bowser, Ben chose Mario, Silver chose to be Luigi, Toby was King Boo, and Jack was the Skeleton Bowser. Ben picked the Wildwing car, Jeff picked the standard car, Silver did the Wildwing as well, Toby chose a standard car and so did Jack. I decided to go with one of the motorcycles with the face on it since I was good at controlling motorbikes in the game.
We started out on Luigi Circuit at first then did Moo Moo Meadows, Mushroom Gorge, and then Toad's Factory. Unfortunately I lost and ended up in third or second place each time while Ben or Silver took the top places. Jeff was usually in fourth place or fifth and Toby and Jack were in the back places like seventh to last. After that I wanted to go outside for some reason. It just seemed to be lurring.
"Is it fine if I go out for a walk?" I asked them. Ben was still gaming with Jeff and Silver while Jason, LJ, Clockwork, Toby, and Sally were watching them play.
"I may have to go with you since I don't have any missions and the others aren't too stealthy during the day," Jack said. Some gave him glares and others just rolled their eyes at his comment.
"Okay, let me just get my shoes though," I tell him. I ran upstairs to get them and grab my socks. I opened the door to my room and grabbed them and got my old blue sweater. I put them on quickly and walked downstairs.
"Ready," I said as me and Jack walked outside. The sun was up and the air was a nice cool breeze. I completely forgot what day it was and even the month. Looked around and saw the old tree with the leaves falling. It was at least October or September but I wasn't too sure.
"Jack, what is the date?" I asked him. His masked face faced mine as he put his hands in his sweater pockets.
"It will be near the lake, tons of flowers, maybe a picnic like date, and definitely a tree to sit under," He said. I could hear the smirk in his voice as he talked. I pushed him gently and jokingly.
"Nooooo, the day date, not your 'perfect' date," I tell him.
"I know, it is October fifteenth, or is it the seventeenth?" He said. I smiled at him and thanked him. It was only a month until my birthday, but I didn't tell him yet.
"I had a strange dream last night," I told him as we walked through the path. The trees looked similar to the ones in my dream.
"Oh yeah?" He said, interested. I nodded and pointed at the forest.
"I was walking this path and some shadow-like things attacked me, I was scared half to death," I told him. "One of them looked like Zalgo." saying the last part, he stopped and looked at me. I gave him a reassuring smile.
"It was just a dream though Jack, you need to calm down," I tell him. He nodded but I could tell he was still worried. I came closer to him to make him feel better.
"Did you really have to smash my phone?" I asked him. He groaned in response.
"When are you going to let that go, I did it so no one could track you down and so that you wouldn't call the police," He tells me.
"Couldn't Ben or one of the other video game spirits do something to my phone to make sure my phone can't?" Jack pauses and face-palms himself.
"Maybe they could have."
"You're all good though, I didn't have anything really important on there. I just had a video I couldn't stop watching that I enjoyed pranking my-" I stop mid sentence. I missed them. I didn't want to cry in front of Jack though.
"I'm sorry I took you away from them," He said. He was very sad when he said this. It really made me feel worse to see him sad to be honest. He didn't seem to be a bad guy. I say this when he is a cannibalistic killer who knows what intentions to kill me.
"Jack, when we met, you had the opportunity to kill me. You could have killed me in the alleyway or when you broke in. so, why didn't you." Jack stopped so I did too. He remained quiet for a while, probably thinking about whether to tell me or not.
"After I became like this, my senses became better. My sense of smell and hearing increased greatly along with sight, taste and touch. When this happens, I sort of have a way of telling things like... characteristics in a way. You... were different from anyone else I ever tried to kill or met. Like... purity and kindness was what I could tell."
I looked up at him in shock. Pure? Was I pure? All I wanted was to be a good person in life and care for others but this was still shocking.
"You took care of me and made sure I was cared for, no matter how different I looked in that form. You even were nice to me when I was myself. I care about you, Tori, and I don't want to lose you." I was quiet for a moment and didn't move. I stared off at the trail in the distance.
"Me too. EJ, I don't want to lose you either." He looked at me again as he saw my face. I let a small tear fall as I turned to him and gave him a hug. He hugged back as I felt all my worries melt away.
"Tori?"