Chapter 35

I started to grab some stuff out of my room that I was going to need. The time was five-thirteen in the afternoon, and we were waiting for nightfall when they predicted the ambush would begin.  I would just use a black covid mask I have in my bag. I made sure my phone was fully charged and a pair of jeans and a shirt with a hummingbird and flowers. I had my baseball bat safely tucked into my suitcase so I grabbed that out and took my nerf gun as a secondary weapon while the paper was in my pocket with a pencil.

    The other people who couldn’t fight were going to be safely brought to EJ’s cabin that was safely hidden from everyone in the forest. The plan was to get into the cabin, sneak away when the others aren’t looking but let them know I will be okay, and then go to the lake. I made sure to write on the paper that the swimsuit I had would make sure my body temperature wouldn’t go lower than ninety-three degrees so I don’t get hypothermia. I put on black socks and my blue tennis shoes to use when going out and to the cabin. There was a knock on my door so I turned around and faced the direction where the time had come. I was met by the familiar masked face of Kagekao.

    “ああ、鳥、そこにいます。 あなたは行く準備ができていますか?” I couldn’t even understand a single word he was saying. I don’t remember how to speak or understand Japanese. (Ah, Tori, there you are. You ready to go?) 

    “Umm, gracias mi chico? ¿Me comí una uva?” (Umm, thanks my guy? I ate a grape?)

    “何って言ったの?” (What did you say?)

    “Tu mamá.” (Your Mom.)

    “あなたの言っていることがわかりません。” (I don’t understand what you're saying.) I took my baseball bat and had my mask in my pocket of the hoodie I started to put on. My hoodie was black and sort of soft on the outside. I sighed softly and looked determined.

    “Let’s just go, okay?” He nodded and we started to head out of my room to the hallway and down the stairs. When we reached the living room, I saw that everyone was gathered in the living room. The familiar faces of these killers sent shivers through my nerves and I couldn’t help but feel worried about them and myself. I avoided thinking of my plan so Slenderman wouldn’t know and I can do this myself. I had directions to the lake on my phone and it wasn’t far. The lake was called Wanoka Lake and if I ran without stopping, I would be there in three minutes. Jeff and Toby would be escorting us to the cabin so the ones who can’t fight are not ambushed and captured. So once I arrive at the cabin, I will sneak out through a window and gun it out into the woods. I have to be careful of enemy crossfire though.

    I had everything I was going to need plus the bag with stuff like the paper, the nerf gun, a flare gun, the necklace I considered ‘good luck’ and my phone with the headphones.     Everyone looked at me and I sighed, acting as if I am afraid of all this when I know I have to be brave. EJ came forward and hugged me tightly, shaking lightly.

    “You promise to be safe?” He whispered into my ear. I smiled at him and tightened the hug.

    “Of course, and do you promise to not get yourself killed?” He chuckled sadly.

    “I don’t know if I can make any promises.” We got out of the hug and I slapped him on the back of his neck. He yelp

    “Wrong answer! You’re supposed to say, ‘Don’t worry about me! If anything I’m going to kill a bunch of people who I trying to be stupid and start a fight that they can’t win!’” He laughed and some of the others chuckled at my comment. I gave him a sad smile and the last hug until this whole thing ended. I buried my face in his neck and tried to not cry but a few tears slipped out. We got out of the hug when Slender spoke.

    Are you two done yet because we have to go. Toby, Jeff, I need you two to escort the others out and into Jack’s cabin. I wiped my eyes and the boys nodded. Sally, LuLu, Lazari, Sadie, and Lucy grabbed what they were taking and followed behind Toby and Jeff as they led them outside. I followed behind them as Jane gave me a sad smile since her mask was moved to the side of her face.

    “Be safe,” Jane said. I smiled and nodded as I shut the door. It was dark out and the moon shone almost in the center of the sky. Jeff had his knife out while Toby held onto his two hatchets so I took out my Baseball bat if some tried coming from behind to attack.     We were going off trail so we wouldn’t be spotted so easily and so we could get to the cabin. Sally walked a little behind so she could come next to me. I took her hand to make her feel better and she looked up at me, smiling. I smiled back slightly and just a few seconds later, we were coming up to the cabin. It was hard to see at first since there were trees in the way.

    The cabin was sort of old looking. It had cobblestone as support on the bottom while the walls were spruce wood and the roof had black shackles to make sure nothing leaks when it rains. It had a few windows but there were curtains blocking from seeing the inside. A few vines looked like they were starting to form on the cobblestone so the cabin could have been here for about ten or more years. Technically, EJ doesn’t age. So he stays the same age after his incident in college. Maybe he lived in the cabin after he came back to life.

    “Get inside the house fast so we can get back to the others,” Jeff instructed. Lulu nodded and took the other girls inside. I came in and shut the door behind me. Looking around, the cabin was nice and clean. There was a living room and pretty big kitchen with the essential items needed for cooking. The living room had a TV and a big couch to sit on with a rug underneath it. Down the hall must have been things like rooms, the restroom, and where the basement should be. 

    “Okay guys, if we hear something you have to remember this,” Sadie said. “If you hear something you need to tell us so we can get to the basement and avoid being caught.” The girls nodded and started to look around the house so I became curious.

    “What are you doing?” I asked them.

    “Looking for sus amongus things!” Lazari said.

    “What?!?” I laughed.

    “Ben said EJ might have something called, sus amongus things in his cabin,” Sally chimed in. I laughed a little longer while they kept looking and LuLu went to Sadie to be on look out. I took this as my opportunity to leave so I went to a window while Lucy led the others to EJ’s room. I opened it slowly and luckily it was quiet and didn’t make a sound. I got out and shut the window and started to run. No matter how much my legs hurt, I kept on running. After a while, I felt like I couldn’t breathe and that I should rest. I wasn’t going to give up though, not until I fix my doing.

    I ran longer until I caught the lake into my view. I realized that I left my bat at the cabin but at least I still had the flare gun and the nerf gun on me. I tied up my bag in one of the branches in a tree nearby so I could grab it when I needed to. This would be a perfect way to sneak attack and see where they are trying to head over to. I felt the water and it felt moderate since I kept myself at a body temperature that doesn’t change. I had to be careful and turn back so my cells can work properly at maintaining homeostasis. I took a deep breath and dunked myself in the water.

    Please tell me there are no alligators in here. Wait, this is Wisconsin, not Georgia. They don’t have alligators here since it is cold here. Plus, if there were alligators here they would be hibernating. I started to get used to the feeling of the water so I went farther out to hide and look out. It would be tricky for me to see since I am near sighted but I can still listen in and see movement easily. I made sure that at most my nose was above the water so I could breath and keep an eye out.

    It felt like hours before I heard a distant sound. I tried to focus on it and where it was coming from but everything seemed so quiet again. I couldn’t let my guard down though. Whatever it was, it could be far away and the fighting could be over there and no one would be coming over here. After a few minutes, I felt myself weakening for some reason. It could have been the effects of the spell on me so I knew I had to leave at some point.

    I decided I would head over to the area after a few minutes of me just waiting. I walked to the bank and tried to get up to the surface. The mud beneath my feet felt strange and squishy as I started to walk up. Before I could, a giant bang went off just a few yards away and a light of a firework or rocket hurtled towards me.