eight

The first Tri-Wizard task was a week later. 

Evangeline walked with Remus to the tent where the champions were waiting to be called. She could practically feel Remus' nerves, he was fidgeting constantly and his words kept coming out all jumbled. 

"When Harry was born, I promised myself I'd keep him safe at all times. A-And now he's going out there, risking his bloody life, for something he didn't even ask to be apart of. Bloody hell, you should've read the letter Sirius wrote to me. I wouldn't be shocked if he worms his way in here to try and stop it. Oh Godric, I just know James and Lily are cursing my name right now," he rambled on. 

Evangeline took his hand and squeezed it tight, "It'll be alright, Remus."

His shoulders relaxed slightly, "I bloody well hope so," he muttered as they walked into the tent. 

Dumbledore, Bartemius "Barty" Crouch Senior, Igor, Madame Maxine, and Hermione were all in the tent. 

Harry ran to Remus and hugged him tightly, Remus let to go Evangeline's hand to hug the boy as if it would be the last time. They spoke quietly amongst one another, Evangeline watched Remus speak with wide eyes. 

Dumbledore stood next to Evangeline, "Remus is quite protective of Harry," he quietly said. 

"I've noticed. I also cannot ignore how dangerous this is, sending a 14 year old boy out like this. Hell, even the others. They're just children."

Dumbledore gave no response as Rita Skeeter walked up to them, "Put that bloody camera down," Evangeline quickly said before the man behind her could snap a photo. 

She frowned, "I'm only doing my job."

"Yes. I'm sure you're paid a pretty penny to spread false information in the papers."

She rolled her eyes, "What? Are you still upset about that article I wrote about you all those years ago?"

"The one where you wrote that I said I was only working as an Auror to spy on the Ministry for Dark Wizards, or the one where I apparently had an affair with a former Death Eater... what was his name again... oh, Barty Crouch Junior?" She snapped. Barty Senior turned his head at the name of his son, raising a brow. Evangeline turned to him, "Don't worry, Minister, I wouldn't touch your son unless it meant I could stupefy him again," she said before turning back to Rita, "Put that pen down and leave those poor children alone."

Rita did as she was told and backed away, "No need to be so... sour."

She caught Hermione's gaze, seeing that the young witch had a shit eating grin on her face, struggling to hold back a laugh. She sent Hermione a wink as Rita tried to ignore what Evangeline had just said.

"I didn't know you could silence her." Remus said, appearing by Evangeline's side as Dumbledore walked away. 

"Please, I'll be in tomorrow's papers with the headline Former Auror and Hogwarts Professor Evangeline Vandeleur Threatens Rita Skeeter."

"I look forward to reading that article."

They stepped aside and allowed the Headmasters to take a photograph with the champions. Dumbledore finally noticed Hermione, "What are you doing here, Miss Granger?"

After the photograph was taken, Evangeline and Remus wished everyone a good luck before being escorted out of the tent. They took their seats in the arena, the sound of the cheering overwhelming the two of them. 

A loud cannon went off, and the crowd grew more wild. Cedric Diggory walked out and everyone began to cheer his names. 

And just moments later, Remus gasped. 

"Dragons? Bloody dragons? Padfoot is going to kill me," Remus said.

"Padfoot?"

Remus ignored what she said as he watched Cedric battle the dragon all while trying to catch a golden egg. It was like that for ages, through Cedric, Fleur, and Viktor. Silence from Remus as each champion defeated their dragons and caught the egg. 

Harry was last. 

As soon as he walked out, Evangeline slipped her hand into Remus' for comfort. He took it silently, squeezing tightly. 

And boy, did he hold on for dear life. Every time Harry was thrown around trying to dodge the dragon, Remus jumped and squeezed tighter. After some time, Harry got on his broom and zoomed away in attempts to escape the dragon. 

Everyone stood up and turned towards the castle, where parts of it was getting destroyed by the dragon. Harry fell down a cliff as the dragon followed, his screams drowning out. 

"Harry!" Remus yelled, Evangeline pressing a hand to his shoulder to keep him from going anywhere. 

"He'll be alright!" 

Evangeline saw Igor's tightlipped smile as the crowed went silent. She turned back to Remus, and sighed in relief when a figured emerged, zooming towards the arena again. Remus relaxed as Harry grabbed the egg, slumping back down in his seat. 

She sat beside him as the crowd cheered for Harry as he held up the egg.

"My old heart cannot take this," he groaned.