fifty-four

"Those letters you brought up in the trial, what were you talking about?"

Vincent straightened up in his chair, "during the conspiracy trial, Mulciber and Verlice's homes were raided by Ministry Officials. They took nearly everything, including the letters they wrote to one another. Since the public was so demanding to know exactly what was going on with the trial, the Ministry published every last detail of the trial. Detailed everything they took, everything said in the courtrooms, everything. Now it doesn't take a genius to know they probably were trying to finish what the Dark Lord started, but unfortunately most people's silence can be bought. The case was dropped, but the records remained public. The letters were never released in the papers, but anyone can go to the Archives and read them. But the guards will certainly try and stall and talk you out of it. Lucky for you... I had all day. It took me a long time to get to the letters, which is why I didn't tell you."

"Why weren't they questioned about the letters?" Remus asked.

"Why are so many women afraid to speak out about abuse and assault?"

"Nobody believes us," Mary quietly said.

"But the evidence is there! Surely something could be done. Put those bastards away for good!" Sirius said.

"Evidence isn't always enough for these people, Sirius. They'll do anything to shut up a survivor just so they can look good. They'll do anything to villainize a woman who finally snaps back. When you were living with your parents, dealing with their abuse, did you ever tell anyone but your friends? Someone of higher power who could help you?"

"No..." Sirius carefully said.

"Why?"

He shrugged, giving her a weak smile. "Why would I say anything?" he asked, face dropping in realization.

"They wouldn't believe you. They wouldn't believe that someone of such power and wealth and respect, would do something so horrid. It's unbelievable," Mary said.

Sirius sat back in his chair, "wow."

A knock at Sirius' cottage interrupted the group's conversation. Sirius stood up and walked to the door, opening it up to see Snape.

"To what do we owe this pleasure?" he asked, watching Snape whisk past him. "Come on in," Sirius muttered.

Evangeline stood up from her place on the couch, "thank you for testifying."

"Do not think I did it out of the kindness of my heart, Vandeleur. You have somehow made Astronomy an enjoyable subject to learn about for the students at Hogwarts... I only testified on your behalf because I am sick of having to cover for the Astronomy teacher who is incompetent. Think nothing of this."

"Thank you, regardless."

Snape left as quickly as he arrived.

"I still can't stand him," Sirius griped.

"Me neither," Mary mumbled, "he still called Lily a slur. Let's not forget that."

"What he said still might help Evangeline. The question of his character out of the conversation," Remus said.

"If you say so."

Evangeline and Remus went home shortly after dinner.

"Vincent gave me a copy of the letters. I should read through them."

Remus stripped off his coat and shoes at the door, watching Evangeline walk through the home with the letters gripped in her hand.

"I don't think that's wise."