thirty-four

Professor Vandeleur,

First and foremost I congratulate you on your child, I have no doubts that this child will be brought into the world by two great parents. Despite the circumstances I am glad you have been able to find the joy in this, send Professor Lupin my regards. 

On the note of your resignation, as much as I do not want to see you away from Hogwarts, I understand why you have made such a decision. I will find someone to fill your position for this year, know that you will be welcomed back should you decide you still want to. You have been an incredible teacher and wonderful protector throughout the Tournament, and I will be forever in your debt. 

I am sending you and Professor Lupin my best wishes, good luck and may the gods bless you both. 

-  A. Dumbledore

Evangeline sat the letter down on the table, taking a sip of tea. 

It was her first day back as an Auror, well, partly. It was strictly casework and paperwork, but she was still excited to be back. She got herself ready and headed to the Ministry via Floo. 

"You've got your old office back, nobody filled your position," Mad Eye said as he walked her to her old office. 

"What? Just couldn't find anyone better?" she asked. 

He turned to her, "yes."

She walked in and flickered on the lights, "it's dusty in here," she commented, "how much paperwork is there to do?"

"Oh, tons, you won't be bored."

"Brilliant."

After Evangeline finished setting her office back up, she plopped down behind her desk with a sigh. She stared out of the window with a sigh as she absentmindedly put a hand over her stomach when she heard a knock at her door. 

"Come in!" she said, turning around. 

She saw a familiar mop of pink hair, "Tonks, lovely to see you again."

"Hi..." she said, tiptoeing in, "snuck away from Mad Eye to see you."

She smiled, "what brings you here?"

Tonks shrugged, "just wanted to see you, can't believe I get to work with you," she nervously said.

"Well, I won't be in the field with you all, but I'll be around."

"So why'd you decide to come back?"

"I'm pregnant," Evangeline said, "didn't want the stress of students and being away from Remus during it, so I'll be here for about a year."

"I heard he also resigned..."

"Yes, he did," Evangeline quietly said. 

"Well, how are you two? Seemed pretty cute at the tournament."

She sighed as she sat down behind her desk, "we aren't together anymore."

Her face fell, "oh, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have–"

Evangeline put up a hand, "it's alright, I'm grateful he's going to be with me through this at all even if it's not together."

"That's a good way to look at it. Are you excited?"

"I'm starting to be."

Later that day, Evangeline stepped out of her office when she got a hankering for a good pastry. There was a small cafe inside the Ministry of Magic, one she missed dearly. 

She ordered a cup of tea and a treacle tart, taking a seat by a large window overlooking the city. 

She turned her gaze back to the pool of people in the cafe, her eyes landing on a one William Weasley. He was ordering something at the counter, handing money to the ringer. 

He looked around, his eyes lighting up when he saw her. He gave a small wave, and she returned it, going back to eating her tart. 

A few moments later, he walked up to her with a cup of tea in hand, "mind if I sit?"

"Go ahead."

"How are you? Are you back working as an Auror?" 

She nodded, "I am, but I plan to be back to Hogwarts next year. What brings you here?"

He smiled giddily, "oh, I've got a new job as a curse-breaker!"

"That's wonderful news, William."

"Thank you," he said with a small smile, "so why'd you leave Hogwarts if you don't mind me asking?"

Evangeline told Bill the same thing she told Tonks, going through the congratulations and then the oh, I'm sorry you two broke up. 

"Enough about me, what's been new with you?"

He began to blush lightly, scratching the back of his head, "I met a girl at the Tri-Wizard Tournament, Fleur Delacour..."

"Oh, Fleur! She's incredible, you two have just begun dating?"

He nodded,  "yeah, I really like her. Mum doesn't trust her much but I think things will get better with time."

"I'm sure, she's a wonderful young woman."

"She's got a part-time job at Gringotts, things are really... they're really good."

"That's wonderful, I'm happy for you."

"You know, if you want... you can talk to my mum about your pregnancy. Merlin knows she's had enough children to have some good advice to give."

"Oh, I don't want to impose..."

"Nonsense, she'd love to help you if you want."

a/n
again thank you thank you thank you so much for all the love this book has gotten. <3
if ya'll want to read more harry potter fanfics from me, i've got a series that's currently on it's last book, the first book in the series is gold rush *cough cough* cedric diggory *cough cough* fred and george weasley