twenty-four

The next few weeks flew by in the blink of an eye. Excitement and nerves were building up around the school for the last task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament. 

Evangeline rarely saw Damien around, and she knew Remus most likely had a hand in that. 

Evangeline sat on the edge of Astronomy Tower with a notebook, charting constellations while looking through her telescope periodically. 

"I was going to scold you for staying out past curfew, but I seem to keep forgetting that you're no longer a student here," Dumbledore's voice broke through the silence. 

She turned her head to him, standing up, "I reckon you know I use to sneak out?"

He nodded, "oh, often. I saw no point in punishing you when I saw what you were up to," he said, gesturing to her notepad and telescope. 

"What brings you up here Headmaster, come to study the constellations?" she asked. 

"Oh, no, not tonight. I've come to you because as you know, the last task is approaching in a few days."

She sat her notepad on a small table she set up further away from the edge of the tower, "Yes, my students have been talking nonstop about it."

"I've come to you to ask a favor, of sorts. Headmaster Karkaroff has me a bit unnerved, truth be told. Now I know you've been keeping an eye on him, but I ask that you do so a bit closer during the task."

"Do you think he's going to try and rig it?"

He shook his head, "no no, I'm afraid that he will try something much worse. I've set up numerous protection spells for the contestants, but I think it will be wise to have a pair of good eyes on him. I do not like to judge people on past mistakes, but he was a fierce supporter of the Dark Lord and with Mister Potter competing..."

"You're afraid he will hurt him?"

Dumbledore nodded grimly, "I ask that you do not tell anyone else around this, especially not Professor Lupin or Sirius Black. If we can contain this potential threat and keep everyone at the tournament from knowing, I'd like to do so."

"I reckon Remus or Sirius would know if I just up and left midway through, should something happen."

"I'm aware, but I trust your skillset and your ability to quietly handle threats. Professor, know that I am coming to you for the safety of our students and everyone at that tournament."

"Of course, I understand. You can count on me."

He gave her a small smile, "I know I can. I'm sure you don't want this being kept from Remus, but know that I'm asking this of you for good reasons."

"I know. Let's just hope I haven't got a reasons to escalate things."

"Quite the fine pair, you two are," Dumbledore fondly said. 

She smiled, glancing out to the night sky, "we are, aren't we?"

Dumbledore left the tower shortly after, and Evangeline packed her things up to head back to her quarters for the night. On her way back, she found Cedric Diggory sitting under a tree looking out into the distance while twirling his wand between his fingers. 

"Mister Diggory," Evangeline said, approaching the young boy. 

He jumped, scrambling onto his feet. His face went pale, "P- Professor, I'm sorry I know I shouldn't be out past curfew I promise I don't ever sneak out-"

She cut off his rambling, "relax, you're not in trouble."

He relaxed lightly, "I'm not?"

"I use to sneak out quite a bit during my days as a student. I found solace in sitting up in the Astronomy Tower, a good place that is to collect ones thought. Is that why you're here?"

He nodded tightly, "yes, I- I'm a bit nervous, for the last task. I just came out here to... find solace, as you said."

"I see. Why are you nervous?"

He shrugged, "it... it's just a lot, you know? Everybody's watching. It's not easy competing against Potter, knowing have the bloody school is rooting for him," he said with a dry laugh, "not that it's bad... Harry's nice, he deserves to win."

"He is a good kid, but so are you, Mister Diggory. Don't let your win or loss cloud you, this is an experience that not many people get, learn from it."

"I've certainly learned a lot," he said, "I just want to do good."

"You will... if you get your rest and not sneak out."

He let out a small laugh, "thanks for not getting me in trouble. I reckon that would put a damper on me being able to compete in this."

"As a professor I don't condone breaking the rules or sneaking out, but as a student who was once rebellious in her own right... I say ride on."

"You were rebellious?" he asked, "that's hard to imagine."

"Oh, we all were back then with the war going on. I like to think I did it for the right reasons."

"What was it like? Being in Slytherin? Everyone gives it a bad reputation but I've never understood why."

She sighed lightly, "oh, there were the bad eggs in the house. Yes there are many Slytherins who are evil and cruel... but there are so many of us with ambition and cleverness that has taken us far. Unfortunately some of us in the wrong direction... but many of us in the right. For me, I was a bit of a black sheep when I was in school. I rebelled against my parents, who were Death Eaters, and that unfortunately blended into my relationship with my peers in school. But I stuck to myself, and I'm grateful to my younger self  for that. I enjoyed my time in school in my house, though. My advice to you is to never form an opinion on someone when the thoughts are born out of gossip."

"I try not to."

"You should get some sleep Mister Diggory. You've got a lot going on the next few days."

He nodded, "alright. Thank you again."

She gave him a nod and he walked back into the castle.