twelve

Remus' eyes peeled open Christmas day to one hell of a present. His crush lying in his bed next to him with clothes long gone. He smiled like a school-boy at the memories of the night prior. He watched her sleeping form. She was on her stomach, hair wild, makeup smudged, and light snores coming from her.

It felt like Heaven, looked like Heaven, so he figured he had died and gone to Heaven.

He carefully brought his fingers to her back, feeling her scars softly. Some of the scars were slightly raised, the others softer. But Evangeline wasn't lying when she said they were harsh. He didn't get that good of a look last night, he could tell she was still trying to hide them from him.

Seeing them now, he still found them beautiful despite the story they hold. He felt less alone.

She hummed lightly, alerting Remus that she was awake. He watched as a smile broke out on her face, eyes still closed.

"That feels good, Rem," she said, voice raspy.

He kept stroking her back with the pads of his fingers, watching her body stretch out slightly.

"Alright?" he asked, his voice no more than a whisper.

She finally opened her eyes, meeting his, "Never better."

She scooted over to him, laying down on his chest. She nestled her head into the crook of his neck as his hand now rubbed up and down her back gently.

"Your scars are beautiful, Evangeline," he commented, knowing what she was thinking.

"Why do you call me that?"

"What?"

"Evangeline."

"That's your name, is it not?" he hummed.

She sighed lightly, "Yes, but... everyone else shortens it."

"I like saying your name."

"Sap," she mumbled. After a few minutes of silence, she spoke up again, "I really do like your scars. They really do look good on you."

"You made that quite clear last night."

She snickered, burying her face impossibly deeper into the crook of his neck, "I hope you know I don't hook up with coworkers normally."

"I hope you know I don't hook up with pretty Aurors turned Professors often."

She broke out into laughter, leaning away from him onto her back as she covered her face with her hands. After a few moments, she removed her face and looked at him, "Good morning," he said.

"Morning," she whispered back.

"Happy Christmas."

"Happy Christmas."

The two laid in bed for another hour, talking about everything and nothing. They eventually left bed, Evangeline stealing a jumper from Remus' closet while he was preparing breakfast.

She walked out to the smell of... chocolate chip pancakes. Fitting.

He told her where everything was, and she moved around the kitchen preparing the two tea. She brought it to the small dining room table between the kitchen and living room. It was a small circular oak table with a red tablecloth draped over it.

He sat the plate in front of her, "Syrup?"

"Please."

He sat a glass bottle of maple syrup beside her plate, and took his seat across from her. She passed him the bottle of syrup after drizzling some over her pancakes. She smiled to herself as they ate in comfortable silence.

"What's on your mind?" Remus asked, breaking the silence.

"I like being here, with you. It's... safe and comfortable."

He smiled lightly, "You're welcome to stay anytime."

"If it means you fucking my brains out and making me chocolate chip pancakes the morning after, I'll be here often."

He snorted into his tea, caught off guard by her choice of words. 

"Have you got any plans on this fine day?"

She shrugged, "I mean to visit my mother, even though it'll probably end with me in a foul mood."

"And after?"

"I've got no plans. You can come over to my place, if you like. I'm afraid it's not nearly as homey as this place is."

"I'd love to come over."

She took another bite of her pancakes, "Are you sure? I mean I'd love for you to come over, but if you had plans to spend the holiday with Sirius and Harry, I completely understand–"

"They'll be with the Weasleys all day. Speaking of which... have you given thought to spending the New Years with them, Harry, and that other bastard?"

"I don't think Sirius would appreciate you calling him a bastard," Evangeline said, speaking into her cup. 

"We've called each other worse to our faces."

She smiled lightly, "Alright then. I see you have a telephone in here, I'll write down my number and call you when I'm done with my mother. I'll be running into Diagon Alley beforehand to pick up a few items as my home is quite bare of food at the moment."

"You don't need to cook anything."

"Don't worry, I wont. I can hardly cook an egg. I was going to maybe buy a nice bottle of wine and cake? Is that festive enough?"

He sat back in his chair, "Good enough for me, love."

Evangeline helped Remus with cleaning up the kitchen, despite his itnsistment on her sitting back and doing nothing. They walked back to his bedroom and she took off his jumper to change into her clothes. 

"Keep it."

She turned to Remus, "Pardon?"

"The jumper. You can have it."

"Remus, you don't have to. I just didn't want to get back into a pair of pants right after waking up."

He shook his head, "Please. I like seeing you in it."

"Alright then."

He walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her frame. He smiled down at her softly and she mentally winced. Not at him, but at herself. 

"I must look like a disaster right now."

"A bit... but I like it."

She rolled her eyes, "You don't need to kiss my arse, Remus."

"I'll remind myself to do that next time we find ourselves under the sheets."

She lightly slapped his chest before leaning her forehead against it, feeling the low rumble of his chest from his laugh. They stood like that for a while, his arms wrapped around her waist and her head resting against his chest. 

"Thank you," he whispered. 

"For what?"

"Being here with me. Truth be told, I didn't think I had a chance with you for something beyond friendship."

She lifted her head from his chest, brushing his hair from his forehead, "What do you think those nights we spent in our offices with firewhiskey, weekends in Hogsmeade, and walks in the Forbidden Forrest were? Me just being polite?"

"Possibly..."

"Remus," she cooed, "You think too little of yourself."

"I'm working on it."

"Good," she got on her tiptoes and kissed him, "I know this is cheesy, but you really did woo me the moment we met during the Sorting Ceremony. I went to bed that night with the biggest smile."

"Who's the sap now?"

"Still you, Lupin."