fifty-three

"Miss Vandeleur, your family history leads us to believe that your intentions to harm Mister Verlice were no short of... intentional."

"If you're making your judgments on Miss Vandeleur solely based on her family history... then shouldn't her actions prove to be a bit out of character? Mister Verlice was a sympathizer of the Dark Lord and he never denounced you-know-who." Vincent said, standing up beside Evangeline.

It was day one of the trial. The days seemed to blur together the more and more Vincent stopped by Evangeline and Remus's home to go over what would happen at the trial.

And now she was being charged with attempted murder of a Ministry Official, Umbridge was pushing the death sentence.

"Mister Verlice is a Ministry Official," Damien's lawyer, Candy Zulfeman, griped. "And he was assaulted."

"So is Miss Vandeleur and he made threatening comments towards her and Miss Macdonald. Let us not forget, Minister, that Mister Verlice began a relationship with Miss Vandeleur when she was only 18 years of age. Freshly out of school, a family named tainted with darkness, and he admitted in a series of letters to his cousin Mulciber–"

Damien lunged out of his seat at Vincent, only to be held back by Ministry guards.

"That was years ago!" Damien yelled, causing yells and murmurs throughout the room.

"What letters, Mister Jenkins?" the Minister questioned.

"These have been uncovered in the Archives office, confiscated only a few years ago while Mister Verlice and Mulciber were being investigated for conspiracy. Why were these letters ignored and overlooked? Why was it covered up? I believe that's a question you should be answering, Minister."

"Are you questioning Minister Fudge's integrity?" Umbridge asked, voice high and shrill.

"As a matter of fact, I am, Secretary," Vincent answered.

More whispers erupted as Evangeline sat back in her chair, glancing back at Remus who was sitting next to Sirius and Mary.

"I assure you, Mister Jenkins, if those letters served any purpose to the conspiracy case or this one, they would have been brought up for questioning. You are heading towards a dead end. And besides, today is when we will have testimonies. Keep up, Jenkins," Fudge said.

"Then I shall save the questioning of the letters for a day when you're brave enough to speak of it."

Vincent and Candy both took their seats.

"I didn't know about any letters," Evangeline lowly said.

"They are public records. But the Ministry has kept the release of them very quiet. You have to do a lot of looking to find them. But some of the things written in those letters is enough to put Verlice and Mulciber in prison. It's a shock that they haven't already," Vincent bitterly said.

"The Ministry is corrupt."

"Don't have to tell me that twice."

There were over ten witnesses who gave testimonies of the incident, several of them noting that Damien seemed to be threatening and others saying Evangeline's 'attack' was out of the blue. 

"The jury seems unsure of who's side to take, this isn't great but at least not all of the blame is on you anymore," Vincent whispered, "but we've still got other people taking the stand."

In certain Wizarding trials, it was allowed for people who have known a certain witch or wizard for at least six months or have worked with them to take the stand and deliver a testimony on the person's character. The only exclusion was family. 

Several people took the stand defending Damien's good character and high morale, earning bitter laughs and sighs from Sirius and Remus. 

Lucius Malfoy gave a testimony, and his words were nothing short of berating for Evangeline. She didn't know if he was bitter because she sent him to Azkaban or if it was for her son's bad grade. Either way, she knew it was not a good look. 

To Evangeline's surprise, she had several people defending her honor. Sirius, Tonks, Mad Eye, Kingsley, and Dumbledore. 

All of their testimonies gave Evangeline some hope, she even saw Vincent smile when Dumbledore spoke. 

"Having him defend you might seal your freedom, Evangeline," Victor whispered, "the jury looks convinced."

"And we have another testimony, last of today, Severus Snape," Fudge announced. 

Evangeline heard a few gasps behind her. She craned her head and saw her friends looking shellshocked. 

"This might be bad," Victor murmured.

Everyone turned their attention back to Snape, who's eyes were flickering between Evangeline and Damien. 

"Gods help us all," Vincent muttered. 

"Miss Vandeleur..." Snape started, gaze falling on her. She narrowed her eyes, watching him carefully. "She has proved herself as not only a powerful asset within the Ministry, but also within Hogwarts. I have seen Miss Vandeleur to be one of the most levelheaded and dare I say... incredibly selfless person I have known. I have heard students speak of her and her class with great... excitement and curiosity, which has brought a new light into Hogwarts."

He almost looks pained to say this, Evangeline thought to herself. 

"Anything for Mister Verlice, Professor?" Umbridge asked. 

Snape glanced at Damien, "yes... I would not trust Mister Verlice as far as I can throw him."

With that, Snape quickly left the stand and exited the room in a flurry. 

The room was silent until Fudge cleared his throat, "well, much to think about... we shall continue this tomorrow."

He dismissed everyone shortly after. Evangeline and Vincent met Remus, Mary, Sirius, and Asteria outside of the courtroom, ignoring the glares from Damien and Candy. 

"I cannot believe Snivellus testified, not to mention on Evangeline's behalf," Sirius exclaimed. 

"I wouldn't be calling him that considering he said what he did."

"Looked painful for him," Remus muttered. 

Evangeline crossed her arms and looked around, "surprise Rita isn't out here."

"Tonks and Mad Eye gave her a very firm talking to, I heard," Mary said, "saw them outside of the courtroom before the trial began."

"Lovely."