twenty

The second task of the Tri-Wizard Tournament crept up on Evangeline.

Before she knew it, her and Remus were in boats heading to the docks sitting on the water to watch it all play out.

"Water. Never a good sight," Remus nervously said as he gripped Evangeline's hand a little tighter in his lap.

"Thought you enjoyed baths, though?"

"I do... that's not what it meant."

"Relax. It'll be fine."

They docked and Remus got out first, holding a nervous hand out. She took it and he guided her out, "Professors, how are you on this fine day?" Dumbledore asked as they approached the crowd of professors and people in the Ministry.

"Remus is a bit unnerved."

"I assure you, Professor, all will be well."

Remus gave Dumbledore a very half-hearted smile before walking away with Evangeline to stand in front of the railing.

The task kicked off shortly after, it being the contestants having to rescue someone important to them, those people in question being held by Merpeople in Hogwarts' lake.

The first person to emerge was Fleur, but she didn't have anyone with her.

The second to emerge was Cedric with Cho Chang, followed by Viktor with Hermione.

"Oh dear, where's Harry?" Remus said as he watched intently.

It was silence for minutes, everyone watching the water waiting for something.

And then Ron and Fleur's sister finally came up, and Harry shot up from the water moments after. He landed on the deck and Remus immedietly rushed to the dock to his side, as did everyone else.

Cedric was named the winner of the task, Harry coming in second for his bravery of saving Fleur's sister. Viktor was third, while Fleur was last.

They returned to the castle after Evangeline and Remus sat through conversations with various people from the Ministry, both bored and annoyed out of their minds.

"That was... bloody hell. Padfoot is going to be so proud of Harry when he hears about today," Remus said with a bright smile.

"I'm sure he will be."

"Evangeline."

She stilled, Remus looking down at her quizzically at the sound of her name from a voice he didn't recognize. Evangeline's smile faded quickly, her expression and body language becoming one he had yet so see.

Something vulnerable, something small.

She slowly turned to the man who said her name, her breath catching in her throat when she laid eyes on him.

He had a small smile played on his lips, his green eyes looking at her like he knew something.

Remus looked at the man, taking in his well-built stature that screamed I think I'm better than you. He had dark hair that reached the nape of his neck with a bit of grey peppered in it. He was clean shaven, and Remus suddenly felt slightly insecure about the lack of scars on his face.

"D-Damien. What are you doing here?" Evangeline asked so quietly Remus wasn't sure if the man heard her.

"Came to watch the task, of course. I'm surprised you didn't see me earlier."

"I was a bit caught up..."

"I can see that," he said, eyes flickering between the two.

She stared at Damien with wide eyes and a frown, wanting nothing more than to hide away. Her chest ached, a feeling she didn't think she'd have again.

"Who is this?" Remus asked Evangeline quietly, fingers gracing her forearm to ease her out of whatever trance she was in.

"She hasn't spoken of me? Evangeline, I'm a bit hurt," Damien said, stepping to them.

Remus stood a little straighter, glaring at the man. He didn't know who he exactly was, but he could tell it wasn't somebody Evangeline wanted to be around.

"Damien Verlice. I work for the Ministry," he said, holding his hand out to Remus.

He took it, gripping Damien's hand tightly.

"And you're Professor Remus Lupin. You teach Defense Against the Dark Arts, correct?"

"Yes," Remus stiffly responded.

"Quite the job, that is. I've heard good things about you, Professor," Damien said before turning to Evangeline, "you're so quiet, Lina."

She dared to look up at him, but instantly regretted it when she met his burning gaze.

"Please, just leave, Damien," she said.

"Merlin, you still act like such a scared little girl, don't you?" Damien said with a small chuckle.

"Leave," Remus said harshly, "you heard her."

"Actually, I didn't hear her. She's so quiet."

Remus stepped in front of Evangeline, standing face-to-face with Damien, "I said to leave," he lowly said.

Damien stared at Remus for a few seconds before eventually taking a few steps back. He smiled at Evangeline, who stayed hidden behind Remus as best she could.

"I'll be seeing you around, Lina."

Damien turned around and walked away, and Remus turned to Evangeline to see her walking into the castle quickly. He followed her inside, "Evangeline!"

She said nothing and he trailed behind her, following Evangeline into her quarters.

"Who was that?" Remus asked once the door was shut.

"Nobody," Evangeline said, turning her back to Remus so he wouldn't see her cry.

"It obviously looked like somebody, Evangeline. I've never seen you so... small."

She hugged her frame, tears falling freely at his last word. He quickly walked up behind her, gently turning her around. She didn't dare to meet his eyes. Evangeline then leant into him, head resting on his chest as she cried softly.

His arms wrapped around her, kissing her forehead with millions of thought swarming his mind.

Who the hell was he? What did he have to do with her? Why is she crying so much over him?

Those were questions he decided to save for later. The two stood in the middle of the room, Remus caressing her back lightly as she continued to cry.