thirty-seven

The second trimester was quickly becoming hell for Evangeline. 

Heartburn, body aches, and hormones. 

November was approaching and the two began buying various things for their girl, setting things up in Remus' home. It took a lot of convincing, but Evangeline finally was able to make him crack and agree to living together again after the baby was born. 

He insisted that it was only temporary, but it was better than nothing. 

Remus was growing to become incredibly protective over Evangeline, more than he already was. He was over at her home more, would call her when they were apart, and would even visit her on her lunch breaks at work. 

Evangeline couldn't say she was complaining. 

But what was driving her crazy was how badly she wanted to jump his bones. 

It was the little things. How he would bring her tea, try all of her weird pregnancy cravings and pretend to enjoy them, would go with her to 24 hour diners when she got a hankering for waffles at three in the morning. 

But he didn't seem to take any interest in her, at least not that way. She knew why he kept his distance, they weren't together after all. 

Evangeline stared at him as he spoke with Tonks at the Ministry, gripping the fork in her hand so tightly she was waiting for it to snap. He was laughing at whatever she said, what the fuck could have been so funny that he laughed that way?

Of course everyone in the Auror office was charmed by him, even if he didn't realize it. He was visiting more often after all, so it was only fair that he'd make friends with her coworkers. 

She knew she technically had no right to be jealous, he wasn't hers anymore. 

But that didn't make it less painful. 

She quickly looked away when Remus glanced at her, taking a stab at her salad. Remus walked to her, taking a seat across from her at the table in the cafe. 

"Evangeline, what did that poor salad to do you? You're stabbing at it pretty harshly."

"Just tired," she shortly replied, "you and Tonks seem to be getting along well."

He shrugged, "she's nice."

She huffed, "I'm not hungry," she said, standing up and walking away, leaving him in the cafe with a half eaten salad and dumbfounded expression. 

She carried on with her workday in a poor mood, so bad that even Mad Eye didn't want to make any snide comments. 

When Evangeline returned to her home, she found Remus tidying up her place. 

"The fuck are you doing?"

He slowly turned from where he was picking up a few book she left lying in her living room, "cleaning up a bit?"

"I can do it myself," she snapped.

"What's going on with you?"

"Nothing, Remus. You can go, you don't have to do shit like this because you feel like you have to."

"I do it because I want to look after you."

"Out of pity."

"No, Evangeline, because I care."

She rolled her eyes and stomped into her bedroom, kicking off her shoes and dropping her bag to the ground. She sat down with a sigh, taking a deep breath. 

The insecurity was eating at her. She was beginning to feel more weird the more she showed. If she wasn't single she reckoned she'd feel better about herself, but nonetheless she had no partner to reassure her of herself.