forty-one

"Pastries go over there! Oh, don't forget to frost the cookies!" Molly said to Hermione as they helped ready Remus' house for the baby shower. 

Everyone was in their highest spirits for the day. Mary was helping Evangeline and Remus decorate the Christmas tree while everyone ran around setting up the home for more guests. 

Molly gladly took over the role of decorating and planning the shower with Lucy helping out. 

The cottage quickly smelled extremely sweet and looked even sweeter. Remus smiled as he looked around his home, "Molly, you've outdone yourself."

She waved her hand in dismissal but looked proud of herself, "oh, it's nothing."

Everyone else arrived shortly after the home was decorated and the food was made. Arthur showed up with the Weasley children, even Bill and Fleur. 

Sirius and Harry arrived after the Weasley's. Both Evangeline and Remus were stunned at the amount of gifts he brought, the gifts taking up the entirety of the dining room table. 

Tonks showed up excitedly with a very moody Mad Eye, Harry nearly fell over meeting the Auror. 

"Congratulations!" Tonks yelled, throwing her arms around Evangeline. 

"Oh, thank you," she said with a chuckle.

Everyone began to visit with one another, Harry sticking to Mary's side and asking question after question about Lily and her time with the Marauders. 

"Professor Vandeleur, you'll love to know that George and I have built up quite a successful business at Hogwarts," Fred said to Evangeline from her spot on the loveseat. 

"Is that so?"

Him and George sat down on the sofa beside the loveseat. Fred placed a box on the coffee table and opened it up, "of course we've got more than this, but this is Skiving Snackbox! Sickness inducing sweets, people buy them from us at school!" George said. 

"Care to try one, Professor?" Fred challenged. 

She smiled and quickly shook her head, "I think that is a terrible idea, but I'm proud that you two have started this. Have you got plans to open a shop after school?"

"We sure do! Harry gave us everything he earned from the Tournament, which wasn't nearly as much as Diggory, but it's a start. We're saving up one thousand Galleons, we're half-way there!"

"I wish you all the best, truly," Evangeline said, "I'd love to buy a few things from you two."

"Really? Who'd you use it on?"

She glanced at Remus, who was talking with Mary, Bill, and Fleur from across the room, "I've got someone in mind."

"Careful, Professor, you might give the old man a heart attack!" Fred joked. 

"Trust me, if I haven't given him one yet I doubt this would do it."

"Presents! It's time for presents!" Sirius yelled.

"If I didn't know any better I'd think you were the one receiving them, Pads," Remus said as Fred and George moved off of the couch for Remus to sit. Evangeline moved from the loveseat to his side, leaning into his side comfortably. 

"I invited my mother," Evangeline lowly said, "I shouldn't be surprised that she didn't turn up, but part of me was hoping she would."

Remus pressed a kiss to her temple in acknowledgment, watching Molly bring over a present. 

"Now I know it's not much, but I think she would look just darling in it when she gets bigger."

It was her signature hand-made sweater with a H sewn onto the front. Evangeline gasped, "oh, this is just adorable!"

Tonks and Mad Eye gifted the two presents that they had more use of than Hope. 

Evangeline oddly appreciate the little self care gift set Tonks gifted her, knowing full well she'd have great use of it when she had alone time after Hope. 

Remus received a I survived my first child mug along with various flavors of tea and coffee, which earned a chuckle from him. 

Sirius was more than eager to give them the gifts he bought. From clothes to blankets to diapers, he kept a proud smile on his face with every present that kept coming and coming. 

"Honestly, Pads, how much money did you spend buying all of this?" Remus asked. 

"Doesn't matter! Hope deserves it!" 

Evangeline smiled down at the stuffed rabbit as Mary handed them a small box. Remus took it and Evangeline watched him open it. 

"Oh, Mary," Remus gasped, taking out a necklace. 

It was a gold crescent moon necklace with a little girl sitting on it, holding the moon that was aquamarine, her and her father's birthstone. 

"Turn it over," Mary said. 

"Bigger Than the Whole Sky," Evangeline read out, feeling tears spring in the corners of her eyes. She quickly wiped them away, "Mary, this is beautiful."

"You've outdone me!" Sirius said with a playful huff.

The two hugged Mary, thanking the woman profusely for the gift. 

Some moments later, there was a gentle knock at the door. Sirius got up from his spot and opened it up, "Headmaster! Minnie!"

"I hope we aren't too late," McGonagall said.

"Nonsense!" Sirius exclaimed, ushering the two in.

Evangeline and Remus both stood up, greeting the two, "frankly I was not sure you two wee going to show up," Remus said.

"We would not miss this for the world, Professor. Congratulations to you both," Dumbledore kindly said. 

Everyone settled back down and McGonagall gave them presents first. It was transfiguring stuffed animal, which made Sirius groan in defeat once again. 

Dumbledore gifted them an authentic dreamcatcher, "picked this up in America some time back whilst visiting Ilvermorny, I got it from a tribe called Ojibwe. Magic is very strong in their tribe, real dreamcatchers are often magic-made."

"This is beautiful, thank you Headmaster," Remus said, "let's pray Hope never has one bad dream."

Evangeline caught McGonagall's emotional stare, "is everything all right, professor?"

She nodded, waving her hand, "quite alright. Seeing former students that I've known since they were just eleven years old is a reminder that I am getting quite old."

She chuckled, "we certainly aren't getting any younger, either."

Dumbledore and McGonagall visit for some more time before bidding their goodbye. The shower lasted for a few more hours, Tonks and Mad Eye being the first to leave as they had work to do. 

"Enjoying yourself?" Remus asked as Evangeline popped a piece of chocolate into her mouth. 

"Quite so," she said, breaking off another piece of the homemade chocolate and gave it to him. 

He took it appreciatively while pulling her into him, "you know, you're going to make one good looking mother."

"Really? Because I was thinking you'd look pretty damn good as a father. I confess that I've had dreams of you lying in bed in the mornings holding her. Quite the sight for sore eyes."

"Won't have to dream about that much longer," he said, dipping his head down to kiss her. His hands found her hips, giving them a light squeeze as she wrapped her arms around his neck. He peppered kisses on her neck, "how much longer until this thing is over? Not that I'm not enjoying myself..."

"It's your home, Remus."

"Our home."

She pulled back so that she could look at him, "our home?"

"It is as long as you're here."