fifty

Remus was furious. 

At the Ministry, at Damien, and at Evangeline. 

She was bailed out a few hours after the incident, she didn't want to know how much money Sirius and Asteria threw at Cornelius Fudge, but she knew it was a lot. She said that she owed Sirius and he brushed it off, insisting that she did the right thing and Damien had it coming. Evangeline didn't even see her mother when she was bailed out. 

"How's Mary?" Evangeline quietly asked, watching Remus pace the living room angrily. 

"Fine," he shortly said. 

"I–"

"What the fuck did you think was going to happen, Evangeline?" he finally spoke up a bit louder than what she preferred, "Evangeline, this could ruin you!"

"He had it coming, Remus. I really thought you'd be on my side with this. His cousin is Mulciber! He laughed about whatever happened to Mary like it was a fucking joke."

"I'm not not siding with you, but you have just dug yourself a hole that I don't know if you'll be able to get out of. What will you do if the Ministry fires you and you cannot return to Hogwarts? Huh? What will you do then? What if they do decide to lock you up and charge you with assault and attempted murder?"

"I've got a degree in Astronomy, I'm sure I'll find something," she said, sitting back in the couch feeling like a scolded child. 

"I don't like to believe what anything that sick arsehole says, but he said that you should kill him."

"I said it. I should have."

"You should have taken a life?"

"I've done it before, Remus."

He sighed and pulled out a chair from the table, sitting on it. He leaned his elbows on his knees, "you've done it when necessary. I've no right to deny you of your job as an Auror and some of the difficult decisions you have made, but from what I know he never drew his wand. Didn't lay a hand on you or Mary."

"He still deserved it, Remus!" she yelled, "you know what he's done to me. You know what his cousin has done to Mary. I cannot fucking believe you're telling me that I should have played nice after the shit he said and what he's done."

"He was trying to work you up! He wanted this to happen and you took the bait like that," he said, snapping is fingers. "I thought you'd know better."

She shook her head, tears beginning to stream down her face. She was furious. 

"You know it would be really fucking nice to have your support right now. You've got no right to tell me that my actions were wrong. You may know about what I've gone through with Damien and what's happened to Mary, but it's obvious you don't understand. I do know better, Remus. He might've wanted to work me up but you better fucking know I got a great rush from blasting him through that window."

She didn't care to stick around to listen to what he had to say. She apparated to her mother's home after packing a bag, Remus watching her do so in silence. 

When she arrived, Asteria was sitting in the living room with a cup of tea already prepared for her. 

"He deserved it," Asteria said, sipping her tea as Evangeline threw herself down on the couch, wiping the last of her tears. "I take it Remus did not agree?"

"I can't believe him," she said with a dry laugh, "I really cannot believe he... Merlin."

"He's scared, darling."

"Don't you dare defend him."

"I'm not," she hummed, "but he loves you, dear. He's scared of you being taken away, of your life being taken away."

"They won't give me the death penalty."

"He's scared of you not being able to have a job at the Ministry. Not being able to teach anymore. Possibly being locked up. That's the life he's scared of being taken away from you and frankly I don't blame him," she said, drawing in a shaken breath. She carefully sat down her cup of tea, "these men in power... they can get away with a lot. I don't like saying it but they are never held accountable for their actions because they know they can get away with it. I imagine Damien will be found innocent, for this and past things..."

"Damien is a glorified secretary, mother."

"Men like him will never have to face the consequences of their actions. If you speak up and say something, chances are they're friends with the jury or they're on his payroll."

"I hate it."

"It's a man's world."

"I reckon if the tables were turned..."

"He'd be hailed a hero. You had it coming."

She scoffed, "maybe I do need to find a different profession. No more Ministry, no teaching... something less anxiety inducing or with less judgement."

"Would you be happy?"

She shrugged, "don't know. If I still had Remus then I reckon I would be."

"He isn't the source of all of your happiness, Evangeline. He may be a big part of it... but not all of it. You've got a life, you've made a name for yourself. Don't throw that away so swiftly, and you certainly should not let what has happened be the reason you find something else to do. Put up a fight, don't let them have the satisfaction of silencing you."

"I reckon the papers have already put out articles tearing apart my name."

"Well, the Quibbler has been defending you. Interviews have been conducted and there are bystanders who could tell that whatever Damien was saying to you and Mary earned that blast through the window. Not everyone is against you, I hope you know that."

"What the hell is the Quibbler? Haven't heard of it."

"A magazine published by Xenophilius Lovegood. His opinions are strange at times, but I think it's far better than the Daily Prophet. The Daily Prophet spread so much propaganda during the first Wizarding World that I'm surprised people still use it as a credible news source. Rita Skeeter has written an... interesting article about you."

"Shocking," she muttered, lying down on the couch and stuffing her face into a pillow. She tilted her head up after a few moments, "Lovegood. I taught his daughter last year, Luna. She's kind, a bit out of the box, but she was a treat to teach. Asked some very interesting questions, made for good class discussions. Sweet Salazar... I really don't want to lose my job at Hogwarts," she sadly said. 

"It'll work out, dove."

"How will it?"

"Because you're you."