ten

The Yule Ball. 

Evangeline felt sick to her stomach about it as she stood in front of the mirror dressed in a long sleeve satin emerald gown, her brown locks cascading down her back as usual. She slipped on a pair of golden heels and fixed her eye makeup, which was a dust of gold glitter and a thin line of winged black eyeliner.  

She made her way to the Great Hall, 15 minutes before students were set to arrive. The Great Hall looked majestic, to say the least. Even though she grew up around magic, it never failed to amaze her. 

She was so caught up at the sight of the room that she failed to notice Remus gaping at her. 

"Close your mouth, Professor. You'll catch flies," McGonagall said with a small smile played on her face. 

Remus said nothing to her, but did as she said. Evangeline slowly made her way to the front of the room, seeing Remus all dressed up and his hair combed was a good look for him. She took a deep breath as McGonagall smiled brightly, "You look simply stunning, Professor."

"Oh, thank you. But I think you outdid me," Evangeline answered. 

McGonagall waved her hand in dismissal, but held a smug smile. 

Evangeline and Remus still said nothing to one another as students poured in. Before they knew it, music was playing loudly and the champions walked in with their dates. 

Cedric was with Cho Chang, Fleur with a Roger Davies, Viktor with Hermione, and Harry with Parvati Patil. 

"Oh, Cho and Hermione look stunning," Evangeline whispered to McGonagall. 

"They grow up so quickly," she said with a hint of emotion in her tone. She looked at Evangeline, "I must confess it's strange having you here, you too have grown so much."

"I can agree with that," Dumbledore chimed in quietly, "I remember the days when you beat Professor Jeepins in Defense Against the Dark Arts during a duel in your second year."

She blushed lightly at the thought, remembering the look of shock on the Professor's face when she beat him to stupefy. She was the one who challenged him, and the poor teacher didn't think she'd stand a chance. 

Their conversation was drowned out when Dumbledore made a speech, and the champions began to dance. Evangeline struggled to hold back her laughter at Harry and Parvati's awkward dancing, despite her feeling bad for the two. 

After their first dance was over, people began to join in. Even McGonagall danced with Dumbledore. 

That's when Evangeline swallowed her pride, and turned to Remus, only to find him looking at her. 

"Got something to say?"

He opened his mouth, and shut it quickly while swallowing dryly. 

"No."

She huffed, "Dance with me?"

He smiled nervously, "I'm afraid I have two left feet."

"That's alright. I can do dancing for the both of us."

When he didn't move, she sighed. She walked to him and looked up at him with the best puppy dog eyes she could muster, "Please?"

He sighed and nodded, "Alright, then."

She held her hand out, and guided him to a secluded part of the floor. He hesitated on where to put his hands, so she guided one to her waist while holding his other. 

"It's alright, Remus," she said while placing a hand on his shoulder. They swayed back and forth lightly and he avoided her gaze, "Look at me," she said quietly.