nineteen

Remus shot up awake the next day in a panic, realizing what he had done. 

"No no no..."

Evangeline yanked him back down, "yes," she mumbled tiredly.

"Evangeline, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have–"

"Shh, you were so cozy last night. I'm glad you decided to keep me company," she tiredly said, eyes still shut as she held him close to her. 

"That was a terrible mistake that I will not be making again. Next time I try and do that you better not let me in."

"Thought you kept your mind on Wolfsbane?"

"I mostly do. I don't have the urge to... you know, kill anyone, but some things are still hard to control."

"Just can't stay away from me? I'm flattered."

He sat up again, Evangeline reluctantly letting him do so. He rubbed his hand over his face, "this is serious, Evangeline. I cannot jeopardize your safety like that ever again. Promise me you won't let it happen again if I come scratching at your door."

She felt her heart drop lightly, but did her best not to let the disappointment show on her face, "okay," she quietly said. 

"I'm sorry, I really am. I wouldn't be saying this if it weren't to just keep you safe."

She sat up and wrapped her arms around his torso, kissing his back, "I know. Do you at least feel a little better? Sleep well?"

"I did."

"Good," she said, resting her chin on his shoulder, "now, where did you get an Invisibility Cloak?"

"Got it from Potter, he didn't ask questions."

She scooted closer to him, wrapping her legs around his body from behind and her arms around his neck. He sighed at the feeling of her body pressed against his back, his hand rubbing her calf lightly. 

She brushed some of his hair from his face as she kept her chin on his shoulder, "nothing bad happened, Remus. I won't let you in if you come back on a full moon, but I want you to know that there wasn't a second that I was worried for my safety. Don't feel bad. It's not your fault."

"It's still not okay."

"Remus, please don't let this eat you alive."

"It's hard not to thinking about what could have happened. I could have killed you."

"Remus, you wouldn't have, you took your potion. And Snape, for all of his faults, knows how to make them effectively. Please, I don't want to see you so down over this. Don't blame yourself so much."

He craned his neck so that he could look down at her, "okay."

He brought a hand up to the side of her face, bringing her closer so that he could kiss her temple. 

"I don't mean to be so harsh, Evangeline. This is just serious. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I hurt you."

"I'd forgive you, Remus."