Chapter 5 - "Love is overrated..?"

Nandini casually balances two sarees in her opposite hands and looks at the king-sized mirror to evaluate which colour will suit her better. Only then, Manik remarks in an impassive voice while still engrossing in the files,

"Both are bad. Go for red. Red suits you the most."

Nandini glances at her husband from the corner of her eye. Her nose flares in pique. She wraps the green saree on her upper torso and replies in a sarcastic tone,

"Red suits me the most or you think it suits me the most?"

"What's the difference? You should look the best."

Manik deliberately ignores the sarcasm and replies with the same authoritative tone. Nandini throws both the sarees to the nearby chair and nears Manik in a hostile gait.

"There is a difference. Manik why do I always feel that I have no hold on my own life? Where should I go, what should I do, whom should I talk to in fact, what should I wear, everything...everything has been guided by you. Why? Why don't I have the simple right to even choose my clothes and colour? It's suffocating Manik. I am an individual and I have my own mind."

Nandini utters the last line in her unusual pitch. Manikya was sleeping on the bed beside Manik. The sudden shout breaks her cat nap. She gets startled and starts crying. Nandini realizes her mistake and instantly takes a circle of the bed to reach her daughter. However, Manik shows his hand to Nandini and lifts Manikya in his lap. Getting the warmth, Manikya sobs and gradually nestles to her father for more sleep. Manik gets down from the bed and starts pacing in the room holding Manikya in his tender embrace. Nandini keeps on watching the sight. This is not rare but this is not frequent either. Manik is a man who never shows his love explicitly. For him 'I love you but you have to know that I love you.' Nandini knows that Manik didn't believe in the emotion of love since he met her. Manikya is the apple of his eye but still, he likes to keep it subtle. Some moments of silence pass on and eventually, when Manik feels that his daughter has completely fallen asleep, he lays her down on the bed. The tiny frame stirs in her deep slumber and again becomes still. Manik scoots down and pecks her temple. Nandini tries to say something but before that, Manik grabs her elbow and pulls her along with him to leave the room. The iron grip on her hand proves that Nandini has succeeded in igniting his anger. She doesn't resist and comes to the next room where Manik does his business work. There are lots of books, files, almirahs, a small screen on the wall, a projector and a small settee. Perfect accommodation for a workaholic business mogul. Manik lightly pushes Nandini to the settee and sits on the chair facing her.

"First tell me, what are you angry about? Your choice of saree, my suggestion, your freedom or simply.....this party for what I convinced you to attend?"

Manik's tone is tranquil, unlike the action he just did a minute ago. Nandini places both hands on either side of her body and meets his questioning eyes.

"Why do you always control people? Don't they have their wish?"

Nandini utters in a low yet steady voice. Manik's eyes flatten.

"I only control those things that I know should be controlled. I suggested the red colour because I know you look the best in that. If you want to consider it my control over your individual choice then okay; you are free to wear anything. After all, you are my wife, not any slave or subordinate. But yes, I will be glad if you enjoy the party willingly."

Manik gets up from the chair and turns on his heel to head to one of the cupboards. He has to check some presentations and nights are the best time to work. Suddenly Nandini springs on him and hugs him from behind. Her eyes are brimming with tears. It's hard to hurt someone whom you love.