Chapter 8 -"Changed equation..."

It's almost 1 am. The party ended an hour ago. To be exact, it was stopped abruptly before its anticipated time when Manik and Aryamaan had a verbal spat over a trivial word. When Manik gave that advice to Aryamaan and indirectly opposed his notion about love, Aryamaan retorted,

"It's not my opinion, it's my experience. And I bet you are with Nandini not because of love but lust. She is beautiful and I know your weakness."

The word lust ignited a fire in Manik's head. He knows that Aryamaan is forthright and can't hide his emotion but today he went a bit far. Manik couldn't control himself and rushed to his friend. He clawed Aryamaan with his shoulder and for the first time, yelled at him,

"Leave...before you utter more nonsense and I regrate for inviting you."

It was Cabir who intervened and the squall became alleviated. Manik called off the party and it ended on a bitter note. Right now, Manik is pampering Mini. Although it's quite late to stay awake for a 6-month-old baby this stubborn child never sleeps before spending some quality time with her father. The entire evening Manik was busy, so now, it is his compensation time. However, it doesn't seem that he takes it as exhausting work. He is balancing Mini on his palm and she is giggling with her toothless mouth. Nandini comes out of the washroom, fastening the belt of her sleepwear. Generally, she doesn't bathe at night but today's matter is different. She wanted to get rid of that filthy feeling from her body. That unwanted touch on her hand and face. Nandini was rubbing the loofa rigorously on her entire body but still, that voice was resonating in her ear. She didn't tell anything to Manik yet. The party ended on an unpleasant note. So, she didn't want to make Manik more agitated. But she has decided to tell this gradually. She can't hide it from Manik for a long time. It feels suffocating. Nandini rubs her wet feet on the mat when Manik's soothing words for his daughter come to her ears.

"Mini...Mumu...stay steady..stay steady...Daddy won't drop you..."

"It's too late, Manik. Let her sleep now. Otherwise, I have to stay awake for the entire night with this mini monster."

Nandini mouths in a tired tone while rubbing night cream on her face. Manik glances at her. His jaws become hard for a nanosecond. She is looking sexy in this wet hair. His eyes darken. Mini grabs a finger of Manik and puts it in her mouth. Her gums itch due to teething. Manik allows her to chew his fingertip and replies in an amused tone,

"What about this big Monster? Let me do the honour, Baby."

Nandini understands the inner meaning of his words. She observes herself in the mirror for the last time and walks toward the bed.

"Whether it's Big or Mini. I won't allow anyone to disturb me tonight. Please, Manik I am too tired. Let's sleep. Let Mini sleep with us today. Between us."

She suggests and perches on the bed. The word between us hits Manik's ears. Something burns inside him. He utters in a grave tone,

"Nothing can come between us."

Nandini looks at her husband with sheer surprise, trying to learn if Manik is quipping. But his stern eyes make her utter instantly,

"Manik, it's ridiculous. You are jealous of your own child."

Her words break Manik's trance and he grins.

"I can be jealous of anybody who will try to come near you."

Manik's casual words give a chill to Nandini. That unpleasant incident in the darkness becomes vivid in front of her eyes. She manages to give a pale embarrassing smile. Manik looks at Mini and finds her sleeping.

"Take her to her room. I need to talk to you."

The intensity of his voice makes Nandini furrow her brows.

..........................................

"She is Manik's life

"She is Manik's life. Your friend's wife. How can you desire her?"

His conscience frowns at him. A sinister smile peeks on his lips. He whispers while eyeing the huge image of a smiling Nandini hanging on the wall. His eyes become dark in desire.

"Before that, she is a woman. Beautiful and desirable. And everything is fair in love and lust. She is Manik's life but life doesn't last for a lifetime."

He pouts his lips and gestures a kiss at Nandini's smiling face.

"You are beautiful Nandini Malhotra and my thoughts are dangerous."

The darkness of the room is covering his face but the lust and obsession are clearly visible in his eyes. He sips on his glass and walks to the picture in a slow gait. The light coming from the illuminated image of Nandini on the wall reflects on his shimmering eyes. For some seconds, he keeps on looking at her with deep admiration and raises his hand to touch her cheek. He trails his fingertips on every curve of her smiling face. The hissing sound of his rising breath is audible.

"I wish I hadn't gone to the party tonight and hadn't seen you. I wish I hadn't seen you, Nandini and hadn't been forced to touch you for once."

He mutters and brings his finger near to his nostrils and smells them with closed eyes."

"Your touch, your smell...."

He inhales passionately while mouthing, besotted. He again looks into her eyes and utters in a raspy voice,

"Sorry for scaring you, Nandini but what could I do? You were busy in your world and I was busy in you. I clicked your pics but you didn't get to know, I switched off the lights you didn't realise, I touched you, talked to you but you still didn't recognize me. How innocent you are...ahhhh...I wish I would have met you before Manik. You are really a precious gem to possess and I will possess you. Just wait, Baby...very soon...you will be mine...just wait."

His voice echoes in the darkroom.

..............................................

"Manik...no...I am sleepy."

Nandini holds Manik's curious hand that was trying to slide inside her night suit. After taking Manikya to her room, Nandini came back with the anticipation that Manik would discuss the quarrel that happened between Aryamaan and him. In fact, Nandini also wanted to say that whatever happened at the party was not cool. She doesn't want to be the reason for any tiff between two best friends. However, when she came back into the room, Manik was sleeping. Observing this, she also lay down beside him but sleep was away from her tired eyes. So many things happened at the party, and she met so many new people. Navya, Aliya, Dhruv, Cabir and Aryamaan. Her jaws got tight and she felt Manik's hand on her stomach. He trailed it towards her chest and tried to slip it inside her nightwear.

"Manik...no...I am sleepy. Not tonight."

She stops his ardent hand and mouths in an impassive tone. Some moments of silence linger in the darkroom. Manik doesn't remove his hand from her body, nor does he try to move it further. Nandini can hear the erratic breath of Manik. Suddenly he asks,

"What is bothering you, Arya or me?"

Author's note: What do you think? Will this tiff between Aryamaan and Manik go far? Will Aryamaan break his friendship with Manik or he will apologise? More mystery, more twists and drama are waiting. Keep reading and this time I need 200 votes if you all want early updates.