Chapter 31 - "Emotion and expression..."

"The moment I entered my bedroom I felt the tension in the air. Although I was not unaware of the reason. My man informed me that today SP Bhosle met Nandini. It was not preplanned but it was definitely deliberated that, I am sure. I knew that Bhosle would try to meet Nandini sometime. That's why I conditioned her last night. I glance at Nandini and whiff that she is in a mood to argue on some topic. I don't stress myself to guess the topic. Rather I utter a formal sorry for my late coming and she retorts with an anticipated sarcasm. I shed off her scold and slowly unbutton my shirt. Today Arya's some consignment left on my ship. They are not any illegal things but rather unadulterated car parts shipments. Though I already have joined him in his unlicenced business I don't know why Arya is still sceptical about involving me totally in his Mafia trade. Maybe he is concerned about my relationship with Nandini. He knows how much Nandini is against this Mafia world. However, Nandini always blames Aryamaan. My reverie gets broken by Nandini's call."

"Where were you? Must be with Aryamaan Khurana!"

Nandini shoots in a harsh tone. Without turning around Manik sensed her presence right behind him. He replies in a flat voice,

"Yes."

"Why?"

Nandini's stern query comes. Manik unbuckles his belt and turns to meet her angry face. Does she know that anger makes her more attractive? Manik chuckles in his mind.

"Why? Didn't SP Bhosle tell you that?"

Manik counters with a smirk. Nandini is taken aback. Probably she didn't expect this response. But this dumbfounded state was temporary. Soon she musters her thoughts and mouths demandingly,

"Yes, he did but I expected to hear it from you."

Some moments of silence engulf the room air. Manik observes the hidden pain behind the anger in her eyes. To dodge the embarrassment, he tries to walk past but Nandini stops him by gripping his elbow.

"What else are you hiding from me?"

She utters with a shaky voice. Manik looks into her intense eyes and replies in a determined tone,

"I hide from you only that which is of no use to you."

Manik again tries to free himself but Nandini doesn't let him go.

"Will you determine which one I need to know and which I don't?"

She hisses. For a moment, Manik's jaws get hard. Except for Nandini, no one dares talk like this to him.

"If you want to argue on this topic about why I didn't tell you that I joined Aryamaan's Mafia business then go ahead. But don't expect me to answer that. Just remember whatever I am doing, I am doing for my family."

He replies sternly and jerks his hand from her grip. Nandini is trembling in rage. He can't keep her in darkness when it is related to his safety. Manik reaches the wardrobe and opens it to take out his night dress. He is only cladded in trousers.

"And what about hiding your past? Is it also for our benefit?"

Nandini's words form an instant 'v' on Manik's forehead. He flips and questions,

"My past? You already know my past. I told you everything."

Nandini snickers at his reply and utters,

"Is it? Then who are Abhimanyu Thakkar and Mukti Vardhan and how are they relevant to your past or should I say to the Notorious 5's past?"