Chapter 24 -"The rhythm of deception..."

"Since that incident happened in the Lakehouse, an unknown fear always enshrouds me. Previously when that cryptic person held me amidst the darkness during the party night, after that when he was continuously calling me and blabbering those filthy words, I was not scared that much because I was in a dilution that having Manik around, nobody can harm me. But after that Lakehouse incident, my confidence has shaken from that place. Initially, I was worried about Manik's reaction towards the man but now I am more scared about his action towards Manik. I am sure, that night he could have easily shot Manik but he didn't. Maybe because he wanted to warn us. To warn us that we, especially me did a mistake by taking his words lightly. He can do what he said. He can harm Manik because of me. And I am ramshackle from the inside. I was in a deep thought while arranging our walking wardrobe when two strong arms wrap my waist from behind. My all senses get alert and without thinking rationally, I flip and shove the person by banging him on his chest. Shit! Our panic-stricken mind often makes us do something which we repent later for."

Nandini's strong push makes Manik stagger back. The smile on his face gets replaced by a mystified expression. In a surprised tone, he reacts,

"What happened? It's me!"

In the twinkle of an eye, Nandini comes out of her previous train of thought and stammers,

"I...I am...so...sorry. I...I...thought...it was...it was..."

She couldn't complete her words and keeps on looking at Manik's face with a blanched face. Manik's face hardens in concentration and he nears Nandini with a slow gait. She stares up and immediately bends her head to conceal her anxiety. Manik waits for a brief moment and then lifts her face by putting his fingers under her chin. Nandini struggles to meet his curious eyes. Manik asks in an unruffled voice,

"It was? There can be no one around you except me. Nandini, come out of that unwanted memory. It was not that bugger's courage but my ignorance that he got the chance to mess with us. If I hadn't been too reluctant then he probably wouldn't have dared to do that."

"But he did that. He dared to attack us. Or should I say he attacked you because I don't think he will kill me, Manik. It is you who is on his target and that is the most dreadful thing for me."

Nandini gets choked on her last line and tears brim her eyes. She bites her lower lip to control her outburst.

"You are scared of losing me?"

Manik asks placing his passionate eyes on hers. A teardrop trickles down her cheek and she bobs. Manik scoots forward and sucks the salt water from her cheek. Nandini closes her both eyes and more teardrops roll down her cheeks. Manik laps those softly and kisses her closed eyelids. A sob escapes Nandini's mouth. He murmurs against her skin.

"Your love will protect me from every evil eye, Angel. Sometimes I really wonder, why do you love me so much? Do I really deserve it?"

It was the last barrier for Nandini to crush on his chest. She warps him tightly and shatters in a loud cry,

"You deserve everything. You deserve every beat of my heart. Promise me that you will never leave me alone. You will never harm yourself for me."

Nandini's last line stiffens Manik's whole frame. His own words resonate in his ears.

"I can even destroy myself to keep her with me..."

He embraces her tenderly and kisses her hair.

"I will never leave you alone, Angel...never."