Chapter 13 - "Devils don't love..."

"Gosh! What the hell I did? I slapped him because of that disgusting memory. Oh, God! What is happening to me? Neither I can tell him the truth nor I can handle the situation. Manik must have been hurt. Otherwise, he would have reacted or behaved the way he used to. Instead, he just left without even confronting me. Strange! I know how impulsive and intimidating he can be when he gets hurt by his close ones. And here he doesn't even know why I am behaving like this. He must have thought that I did it because of yesternight's fight. He must have assumed that I truly believe that his love for me is only limited to physical. Shit! I messed up everything. Now, he is hurt and mad. And I know how much it will be difficult to assure him."

Nandini's train of thought gets a halt when her phone abruptly rings. She wipes her wet hands in her kurti and picks up the call.

"Hello...!"

She speaks. From the other side, a sharp sound of inhaling is heard followed by a raspy voice.

"Hello, Nandini. Missing me? Oops! My mistake. Fearing me...ha..ha...(Giggles) Okay, let me lessen your fear a bit. Yesterday at the marketplace you were looking hot and pretty at the same time. In fact, I thought to come in front of you and compliment you. But...but the next moment I thought let's continue this hide-and-seek game. Let me give you chance to find out your secret admirer. Come on, Baby...work hard. I am around you."

"Who...who are you? Why are you disturbing me? Listen, I know you are known to Manik. That night you misbehaved with me at the party. If I tell this to Manik, he will find you out and make your life hell."

Nandini hisses in a low voice. The person on the other side laughs in a husky voice and continues,

"Ohhh...so you haven't told him yet. Why? Oh yes! Maybe you liked me and you want to find me out by yourself. Got it! Who doesn't want to be admired? Especially from a secret one. And yes! Manik knows me and now it's your time to know me. Closely...ha...ha..."

He giggles again. Nandini cuts the call and blocks the number. Her limbs are shaking. A teardrop trickles down her cheek.

"I have to tell Manik. Enough is enough."

Nandini thought and bails out of the room to head to Manik's study.

"Manik..."

Her impatient call gets a jostle when she finds the room empty after barging in. She remembers the incident that just happened in the bathroom some minutes ago. Nandini bites her lower lips. Suddenly she feels lonely. A bout of cry escapes her mouth.

"Manik...I need you."

She mumbles.

..................................

"Have you talked to them? What did they say?"

Cabir asks eagerly. Navya stares up from the file and meets his eyes.

"Yes, I did but they didn't show any interest. Maybe they are aware of Dhawan Industry's market value and don't want to risk their money."

Navya sounds blunt. Since morning, she is feeling nauseatic. Early pregnancy sign. She was not feeling to come to the office but as usual, Cabir insisted and she had to.

"What do you mean by market value? We are not finished yet. Yes, we are struggling and we will bounce back. You only couldn't convince them. Ahhhh...it's my fault. I shouldn't have relied on you so much. You just let me down."

Cabir mouths in frustration and leaps up from his chair. Something is torn in Navya's head. She lets him down. She? All of a sudden, she chides,

"Don't put the burden of your incapabilities on me, Mr Dhawan. Till now, whatever deals the Dhawan industry cracked, it cracked because of me. Because of my hard work. But I am not any bait that you can use to lure your clients. If you are a man enough then get the deal by your ability. Don't hide behind me like a..."