Chapter 6 - "An unknown admirer..."

Nandini passes through the clustered guests who are enjoying the evening. Manik has tried to keep it simple and cosy with limited invites, however, it is not a less than hundred people affair. Waiters and butlers are giving full attention to their job to serve and please the guests. Nandini roams his eyes around in search of Manik and locates him with some business partners. Aryamaan's words are still boring in her head but somehow, they touched her consciousness. Is she really a trophy for Manik? Did he marry her because he wanted to own her? Suddenly she urges some alone and silent time. Manik is not around. She can easily go upstairs and take some rest. Her temples are throbbing. Mini is with Rishav. She also has to check on them. Nandini gallops the stairs and comes to the first-floor landing but an unusual sight makes her pace halt. She saunters to the room door where a girl is standing. It seems that she is peeping through the ajar door and something interesting has grabbed her attention. Nandini clears her voice and softly utters while nearing the girl's shoulder.

"Ahem...the party is downstairs. Are you looking for anything?"

The girl gets startled and flips in haste. Surprise and fright are palpable in her wide-open eyes.

"Ohhh...I am so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?"

Nandini tries to calm her down. For the first time, she notices her face. Navya Mehta. Cabir Dhawan's PA. Works in Dhawan industry. Manik has already introduced her. However, it was just a brief greeting and smile exchange.

"Yeah...yeah...I am fine. Actually, I should have apologised. I needed to use the washroom and I came here wandering. I...I am sorry."

Navya sounds sheepish. Nandini smiles at her hard gesture over a trivial matter.

"No issues. Come. You can use my washroom. Come!"

She grabs her wrist and almost pulls her inside the bedroom. Navya follows her with a hesitant pace. Stepping inside, Nandini shows her the bathroom door. Navya smiles softly and approaches that direction in a slow gait. But before that, she glances at something on the wall on the top of the settee. Nandini observes her look. It's a black and white photograph of Manik and hers. She was 8th months pregnant with Mini and Manik is cuddling her from behind. An adorable and beautiful moment no doubt.

"Was Navya looking at this through the ajar door?"

Nandini's mind questions her. They just met today. Maybe she is just curious about them. Nandini shrugs the thought. In fact, she likes the girl. A perfect combination of elegance and simplicity. Click...the bathroom door opens and Navya steps out.

"We couldn't talk much that time. Would you mind sitting here? Let's have some coffee."

Nandini suggests. Navya smiles at her softly and slouches on the settee with an approval shrug. Nandini orders two cups of coffee through the intercom. In the past 1 and a half years, she has become habitual with all these luxuries and rules. Sometimes this house seems like a hotel to her. Luxurious but lacking affinity.