Chapter 26 - "Riddle bound..."

The name Aryamaan liquidates the remorse from Nandini's heart for what she was feeling for Manik a couple of seconds before. Rather an acerbity replaces it. Nandini gives Mini to Rishav's lap and gestures to him to head to the dining area. As they left, she turns to Manik who was sipping on his energy drink after ordering the servant to escort Aryamaan here. He doesn't want to face more conflicts in the morning.

"Now, why is he here? Manik I never stop you from meeting your friends. I know I shouldn't. But please! Keep this particular friend of yours away from my house. Someday I will lose the decency of my words and it won't be respectful for your friend."

Nandini hisses and closes the distance between her and Manik. He meets her gaze, his eyes void of any joy.

"I think he doesn't care about that. For now, just keep in your mind that whatever I am doing is for you and my family's safety only."

He pauses for a nanosecond and adds,

"Putting you all at risk will be the last thing I will ever do. Before that, I would prefer to die."

Nandini's breath catches as the last word is spoken. Quickly, she places her fingers over Manik's lips. When will he understand her situation? She cannot imagine her world without him, but his reckless actions are dangerous for both of them. Loving someone with a dark side is never easy, as it means accepting the danger and uncertainty that comes with it. For a few moments, they gaze at each other, unable to express their feelings. Suddenly, a voice interrupts their thoughts.

"Ahem...Sorry to disturb you both but Manik it's important."

Aryamaan calls from the open door. Nandini immediately puts her hands down and steps back a little. Manik looks at Aryamaan and signals him to enter. Nandini gives Aryamaan a displeased glance before walking towards the door, as Manik speaks to her.

"Nandini, please send my breakfast here and one cup of black coffee for Arya. Close the door and yes...today I will get Rishav to his speech therapist. You need not to bother."

With a flared nose, Nandini slams the door behind her. A nonchalant smile creeps on Manik's lips. Aryamaan wobbles his head in disbelief.

"You just love to test her patience, right?"

Aryamaan utters comically. Manik sits on a plank and lifts the dumbles.

"Same goes with you. You like to annoy her, right? Why are you here? You know that she doesn't like your face."

Manik mouths in a flat tone as if he knows the answer. Aryamaan occupies a stool and retorts.

"As if I care. Many people dislike my face, and I've proudly earned that reputation. She is no exception. Anyway...the reason I am here is..."

Aryamaan inhales sharply and continues,

"SP Bhosle came to my office. He was asking about us."

"Us?"

Manik speaks carefully while Aryamaan's hawk eyes remain fixed on his curious friend. Finally, he concludes,

"About all of us. Notorious 5. St Peter Convent School. Abhimanyu Thakkar and most importantly, Mukti. Manik it's not only about Nandini or our Mafia world. He is up to something big and this time, we have no clue."