Chapter 11 - "Unknown enemy, known target..."

"Right now, I am almost running along the hospital corridor holding Mini against my palpitating chest. The poor soul even forgets to cry sensing the restlessness of her mother. Rishav's hand is tightly gripped by me as he was adamant to escort me when he overheard my convo with Ayan on phone. I know how much he is attached to Manik and the news of his accident is definitely shocking for him. When someone called me from Manik's phone, I was anticipating him as some employee of Manik's company. I thought Manik told someone to inform me about something. We had a bad word last night and he is an expert to show his ignorance. However, the caller informed me about Manik's accident. But before I tried to know more detail about it, he cut the call telling the hospital name. As usual, I immediately called Ayan and came to know that he doesn't have any idea where Manik is. In fact, he didn't even know that Manik left early in the morning. Strange! Where have you been, Manik? But right now, the more important question is how are you, Manik and what happened to you? I nearly bang to the reception desk and spurt out."

"Manik Malhotra. Accident case. Where is he? How is he? Nothing serious, right?"

Nandini demands in one go. For a moment, the receptionist girl keeps on staring at her and then some movement gets visible in her body.

"Ma..nik..Malhotra. Wait, let me check. By the way, you are..?"

She enquires without moving her eyes from the laptop screen.

"Wife. I am his wife, Nandini Malhotra. Can you please make it fast?"

Nandini requests while tapping Mini's back to pacify her agility.

"But there is no one admitted here by this name. Are you sure about the hospital's name? Because there is only one person admitted here this morning. It was a severe accident case. The car has been blown by explosives. The victim was almost dead when he was brought here. We tried our best but..."

The girl sounds despondent. Nandini staggers and steps back to control her momentary blackout. The receptionist immediately gets up from her seat and cries,

"Ma'am, are you alright? Ma'am!"

Nandini was about to respond when Rishav frees his hand with a jerk and rushes in his left direction. Nandini can hear his cry,

"Nick...Bro...Nick..."

Nandini instantly turns in that direction and the sight hitches her breath. Manik is coming out of a cabin having a sling on his left hand. He is discussing something with a doctor when Rishav's cry grabs his attention. Rishav almost jumps on him and shackles him in a bone-crushing hug. Nandini is still moored in her place. Her limbs are numb to even move her forward.

"Oh...he is the guy who got that accident victim here. He also had some minor injuries but now he is fine. Were you looking for him?"

The receptionist asks eagerly. Nandini nods at her words and without looking back, saunters to Manik. Until then, he successfully pacified Rishav.

"No worry, Mr Malhotra. There are no major wounds. Just take care of your hand. It got a sprain. Ummmm...but I am not sure about your shoulder. After the x-ray report, it will be cleared whether you have any muscle tear or not. I will advise you accordingly."

The doctor says in a composed tone. Nandini reaches them at a tiring pace. Rishav tries to express his excitement,

"Nandu Di...Nick...Bro...fine..."

Manik's eyes meet Nandini's panic-stricken ones. In a blink of an eye, Nandini roams her ardent eyes on his whole body. Apart from the hand sling, Manik has a sticking plaster on his right temple. Some scratches and bruises are visible on his arms. Fingertips have blood stains too. The white shirt is blemished with many mud spots. Mini withdraws her face from Nandini's chest and turns at Manik. The sight instantly brings a toothless smile to her face. She stretches her tiny hands to her father making an adorable purring sound. Manik nears them with a big smile and takes Mini from Nandini's lap.