Chapter 28 - "Is everything fair in love..?"

"I will never go anywhere."

Nandini mutters while tightening the embrace more. Manik holds her hands against his chest. Both remain like this for a minute and then Nandini loosens her hold and comes in front of him. The city lights are shimmering in her black doe eyes.

"What's bothering you?"

She asks concernedly. Manik tries to break eye contact. It's not the right time to tell her the whole truth. Nandini waits for some seconds and getting no answer from Manik, she again mouths sternly,

"Manik, I am your wife. I do have the right to know what is going on in my husband's life. If he is worried then I need to know the reason. And being mum and avoiding questions are not the solution. At some point, you have to open up."

She pauses for a nanosecond and then adds,

"Is it related to Aryamaan? Why did he come in the morning?"

Without answering her, Manik tries to walk past and come to the balcony railing. But Nandini grabs him by his elbow.

"Manik, what did he tell you?"

Now, her words are graver and grimmer.

"SP Bhosle is in Manhattan. He came to my office and threatened me that he is going to reopen the cases against me. He even went to Arya's office and tried to convince him to give a statement against me. I am quite sure he will go to Cabir and Dhruv and try to create a misunderstanding between my friends. What he couldn't do in India he would do here. He wants to make me weak by putting away my loved ones from me."

Nandini feels the tremble in his voice when he utters the last line.

"Which cases he wants to reopen?"

Nandini concernedly ask. Manik exhales sharply and mouths,

"Your kidnapping case, Manu Mathre's death case and many more. We have not been in India for a long time and meanwhile, they have declared me an absconder. They have also filed a case against me that I got you here and kept you with me forcefully. SP Bhosle even tried to use your parents to collect statements against me which can prove that all these allegations are right. If the police can prove it then it will be easy for them to arrest me over here and deport me to India. In all the situations I will be away from my family and from my friends."

Concluding his words, Manik fists his hair firmly as if he has lost all hope.

"But you haven't got me over here and kept me forcefully. I am living with my husband and with my family willingly. How can he allege you like this? I will give a statement against this allegation."

Nandini firmly places her point. In the next second, Manik grabs her with her shoulders and asks in a solemn voice while meeting her quizzical eyes.

"Will you? Because he is planning to empoison your mind too. He threatened me that he would make you believe that I myself planned all attacks on me and manipulated you emotionally so that, you forgive me and give me a second chance. He blackmailed me by saying that he would tell you that the man who had been killed by you accidentally was also my plan. Because I wanted you to leave India as a criminal."

Manik utters frustratedly. Nandini takes some time to fathom his all words. Everything is messing up her mind. She knows that Manik is scared of losing her. He is more afraid of that murder case than her and that's why he got her here, far from their root. Just to save her from the reach of the police. She can't even imagine that Manik himself can put her in danger.

"Will you believe if Bhosle tells you all these? Will you counter his all allegations?"

Manik's voice is manipulative and steadfast. However, Nandini fails to distinguish them from love and concern and replies,

"Yes, I will. Because I believe you and not SP Bhosle."

In the blink of an eye, Manik yanks her and fuses his ardent lips with hers. It seems that after a long battle of minds, he celebrates his triumph.

"I love you, Angel. Just believe me. I love you."

He keeps on mumbling while kissing her frantically. Nandini feels weak on her knees and loosens up on his body. Manik immediately lifts her in his hands and saunters to their bed. His hands are holding her in such a way as if she is the only priceless possession of his life. Reaching the bed, he tenderly lays her down on the bed and keeps on observing her surrendered entity. Slowly he pulls out his tee-shirt and knees on the mattress. Nandini is waiting with a pulsated heart. Manik scoots over and reaches her beautiful face. Nandini touches his cheek. She can feel the heat coming out of his bare body. Manik murmurs,

"You are the only sin I can do again and again."

Nandini snakes his nape and pulls him over her. One more night witnesses a love that is pure yet obsessive. Is 'everything' fair in love?

......................................................

"I am watching Nandini running away from me. She is giggling and repeating, You can't get me, Manik. You can't catch me. I am desperately chasing her but she is fading away from my sight. Slowly...slowly. I am screaming like a lunatic...Nandini...Nandini...Angel...don't go...please don't go...Angel. But she keeps on mocking me and running away. Suddenly, I see SP Bhosle amidst the fog, smiling and Nandini is approaching him like a hypnotised soul. My heart sinks and I scream for the last time...NANDINIIII...The next moment I open my eyes with a jerk. My chest is palpitating like a bellow. It takes a minute to realise that I was dreaming. After a long time, I had a nightmare again. Instantly I switch on the side lamp and look at my side. Nandini is nestling to me. One of my arms is still shackling her bare shoulder. Her fragrance is still mingled in my breath. I wipe off the sweat beads on my forehead and gently withdraw myself from her proximity. She stirs in her slumber and again cocoons in the duvet. I reach for the glass kept on the side table and gulp the whole water. My restless heart gets some tranquillity. I rest my eyes on Nandini's sleepy face. A whisper escapes my mouth. Sorry, Angel. I had to lie to you. My mind speaks, before Bhosle makes you believe the truth I had to make you believe my lies. I know I broke your trust but I have no other option. I can't afford to lose you. And for that, if I have to use your blind faith in me, I will do it. I don't care if the world calls me the Devil, the brute but I will do everything that keep you with me...forever. I know, someday Bhosle will reach you. I can't keep him away from you forever but I can shield your mind from the truth. Because I believe if the truth can break a relationship, then it should be buried. A lie becomes the truth if it is said believably. I canoodle her cheek. She is my Angel. And she will be mine forever. I promise in my mind."

"If love is madness, then some people never find sanity again."

Author's note: For Manik, love is conquering and for Nandini, love is trust. What will happen when these two beliefs will face each other? Will Manik lose Nandini or Nandini will be conquered again? To know, keep reading.