Chapter 20 - "Silhouette in Paradise..."

Manan Lakehouse

Manan Lakehouse

"It's half an hour passed since we came out of the restaurant. Sometimes I really get irritated by Manik's whimsical mind. At one moment, he plans something really romantic but the next moment, he leaves no stone unturned to ruin that plan. Tonight, he exactly did the same. I thought to spend some quality time with him which is rare nowadays. However, he didn't give me that chance and almost dragged me out of the place. And now we are going to somewhere that is totally unknown to me. I tried to ask him a couple of times but he shut me up with smiles and kisses. Being irritated I am looking outside of the car. It seems that the place is outskirts of the city. We are riding along the seashore but still away from the sea. Manhattan is surrounded by the ocean and hills. It's a curved road semi-circling the hill. The faint light of the moon is making the sea visible with foaming waves lapping against the rocky bottom of the mountains. It's no doubt a picturesque panorama but my mind is edgy at this moment. It seems like a never-ending voyage where I am a sheer spectator. I observe him minutely. Not a single line of his face is perceptible. Such a brilliant work to take the piss out of me. Being riled I ask him for the last time."

"Manik, where are we going? And why have you left the restaurant so suddenly? We couldn't even finish our dinner properly."

Nandini sounds agitated. Manik glances at her from the corner of his eye and retorts,

"Were you hungry for the food only?"

He makes a suppressed giggle sound which makes Nandini roll her eyes,

"Of course not! Right now, I am hungrier for a good-night sleep. I hope you didn't forget that we are the parents of a small baby and she needs me. We can't wander on roads like teenager lovers."

Sarcasm is palpable in her tone. Manik becomes amused more. He veers to the left and takes a narrow path through the sparse wilds. Nandini looks outside and mouths in a shaky voice,

"Manik, it's dark outside. Where are we going? Please tell."

Her voice is laced with fear. Manik switches on the high beam lights of the car and says in a composed tone,

"You are safe till I am with you. Can't you rely on me that much? For the other concern, well...I called Janet to take care of Mini for this night. I didn't have a plan to spend the entire night outside but as I came late so there is some changes in my plan. Now, we are going to spend the night here. Just you and me. For a night, let's feel like teenagers. Whimsical, spontaneous and adventurous. Trust me, you gonna love it."