Chapter 15- "Cajoling him..."

"The clock crossed midnight when I came back to our room. Manik is still sleeping like a baby. I adjust myself on the corner of the bed beside him, keep on looking at his sleepy face. Today he got drunk. I know alcohol doesn't affect him that much. Then what happened to him tonight? Why did he lose his control? Why did he go to Aryamaan? To apologise or to open his heart out. Till now, whenever we had an argument or he became mad at me, he always confronted me. If he gets hurt, he tells me the reason. Then what happened today? Why did he prefer to go to his friend rather than come to me? Manik, I know I should have told you about my restlessness that you have observed nowadays but I just hid it because of you. I know how will you react and perhaps you will become the same Manik I don't want to see again. Either you will find out the man and kill him or you will do some madness to protect me which will suffocate me more. Manik, I love you but I am scared of your madness. Madness to protect me; to keep me close. I have sacrificed enough to change you but I can't let you change and become a devil again."

Nandini's train of thought halts when a soft mumble hits her eardrum.

"Nandini..."

Manik stirs in his slumber and murmurs. Then he gropes his side and gradually opens his eyes. Nandini kept the dim light on. Manik roams his squinted eyes all around the partially lit room and eventually, they get fixed on Nandini. She doesn't let him react more and leans forward to utter,

"You are with me."

For some moments, Manik keeps on observing her obscure face. The familiar silhouette, body fragrance and voice eventually make his all senses alert. He tries to get up but Nandini places one of his palms on his upper chest and pushes him lightly so that he can remain in his previous position.

"Be like this. You need sleep. I am here with you."

Nandini mouths softly. In return, Manik moves her hand from his chest and stretches his hand to reach the side lamp. In the next moment, the room becomes devoid of darkness.

"I had enough sleep. I have some work to do."

Manik sounds stern. He lifts himself with a jerk and sits squarely. A sharp pang hits his head.

"Fuck..!"

He abuses under his clenched jaws and presses his forehead with his hand. Nandini observes him and immediately lifts the cup from the side table.

"Have it. You will feel better. Black coffee. Medicine to cure the hangover."

She forwards the coffee mug to Manik who glances at it and then ignores.

"No thanks. It's not that bad. And in any case, I never get hangovers."

He says impassively and tries to get down off the bed. Nandini immediately holds him by his elbow and makes him pause.

"I know you never get a hangover. In fact, you never get drunk. Then what happened tonight? You went to Aryamaan and didn't come to me. You never do it, Manik. You never ignore me like this."

Nandini's voice is concerned and a bit complaining. Manik turns at her. His drowsy red eyes meet her caring ones. Then they trail down to stop on the grip Nandini has on his elbow.

"Everything starts at some point. Mostly when the circumstances demand. And I think this ignoring game started from your side only. Mine is just a reaction to an action. And Arya is my friend. I can go to him whenever I want. Nobody's permission is required."

Manik utters grimly and slowly frees his hand from Nandini's grip. Tears brim her eyes but this is not the time to get hurt by his words. Nandini knows she did a mistake and she is ready to bear his harsh words. Manik gets up and reaches the cupboard at a tired pace. Nandini rests the cup in its previous place and follows him.