𝗖𝘂𝘁𝗲 𝗧𝗮𝗻𝘂𝗸𝗶

Chapter Forty-Three

Silence.

Y/n had demanded that there be silence.

Everyone was gathered in a grassy field. Something about it was so beautiful, y/n didn't have words for it. If the circumstances were different, y/n would've loved to have brought Granny there.

It seemed like the kind of place y/n would drag Naruto to when they were young so the two of them could play. Or maybe a spot where she'd train with the entirety of Team 7.

While the field was indeed beautiful, there was something heart wrenching about it. Maybe it was because of the death of yet another loved one.

Team Kakashi, Team Guy, and the weakened Lady Chiyo all respected the oni's simple request, reminding quiet as she clutched her friend's cold hands and waited.

She waited. She listened. She searched.

'Nothing.' the oni thought miserably, 'It's just like eleven years ago. I can't feel anything from him.'

"Y/n, did you feel anything?" Naruto asked hopefully as y/n slowly released Gaara's hands.

She didn't speak, only leaned forwards to silently rest her forehead against Gaara's. It was a long moment before a quiet, "No." left the girl.

More silence followed as Sakura moved to y/n's side, resting a hand on her teammate's shoulder while the crimson oni continued to grieve in silence.

Naruto stared at Gaara's lifeless body for a moment before tears began to gather in his eyes.

Ushi, worried for the blond, stuck close to his leg with a quiet moon of concern. He offered his support.

"Why Gaara...? Why is it always Gaara?" Naruto murmured, "He can't die like this! He... just became the Kazekage!"

"Calm down, Uzumaki Naruto." Chiyo spoke in a weak, and frail voice. Y/n recognized the tone of it.

"SHUT UP!" Naruto snapped, whirling around to face the others with tears in his eyes, "If you hadn't sealed the One Tailed Beast in Gaara, none of this would've happened to him! Did you even stop to consider what Gaara would have wanted? Did you ever think to ask?! Forcing him to become a Jinchuuriki, who are you to decide someone else's fate?!"

Every one silent as Naruto broke down into tears, sobbing quietly while Ushi rubbed against his leg to comfort him with quiet moos.

"Naruto..." Sakura said in a quiet voice.

"I couldn't save Sasuke...". Naruto continued, covering his eyes with his arm, "I wasn't able to save Gaara either! For three years, I trained so hard! But nothing has changed..."

Granny Chiyo was silent before slowly moving towards Gaara, kneeling beside the Kazekage.

"May I?" she asked quietly when y/n gave her a questioning look. Y/n paused before nodding, scooting over so that the elderly woman could rest her hands on her friend's lifeless body.

It was a moment before the elderly woman's chakra surged. It was like medical ninjutsu, but not quite.

'It's like my healing technique I suppose.' y/n realized, working up when she noticed the woman growing increasingly weaker and weaker.

Without hesitation, the Crimson Oni placed her hands beside Granny Chiyo's and her son chakra surged as well.

'This time, I can't fail.' she thought, that familiar flame determination in her heart beginning to grow, 'I'm not going to fail this time.'