Chapter 16

I woke up today to the sound of my phone blaring in my ear. It was Danny. He texted, telling me he needed to talk about something, and it was important. I asked where we should meet, and he replied saying he's in my backyard. This must be really important. I got up and brushed me teeth, and tied my hair up and put on a t-shirt and ran down.

My mom and Daisy were reading and talking about the magazine they were both reading, and I think Chad and Derek are staying at their friends house for the night. There was no sign of my dad. I walked out into the backyard, and saw Danny sitting on the swing. I walked over him and yawned.

"Man, I came down here because you said it's important, but I was asleep." I said rubbing my eyes.

"Mars and I broke up." He said out of the blew. I didn't get that through my system at first, but then it slowly came through my head. I walked over to him and hugged him.

"What happened?" I asked

"I don't know. She was at my house when I got home yesterday, so we were talking. We started talking about our futures, since you won't be around as much. And since you're gonna have your whole future ready for you, we were talking about it, about us."

He took a pause. He got up from the swings and walked towards the driveway.

"Let's go for a walk. I'll talk while we walk."

I jumped off and followed him.

"Continue, please."I stated

"... Long story short we got into a argument of what college we are going end up to, and all into 10 years from know. And you know me.. You know how I don't like thinking of the future that much."

I nodded. There were silence for the next few minutes.

My phone rings, and it's Phillip. I ignore the call; my best friend needs me here.

"You can answer that you know. It's Phillip, right? I don't want to keep you away from him." He said looking at the streets ahead of us.

"Nah, it's all right."

I pulled my arm threw his hand and leaned my head down on his shoulder as we continued to walk.

We started walking back to my house, and my phone rings again. It's been going off 3 times after Phillip called once. Danny got tired and told me to answer it. I took my phone out, but it wasn't Phillip, it was Mary.

"Stef, answer him." Danny said stopping.

"... It's not Phillip. It's Mary."

Danny looked at me and looked at the ground.

"... I won't answer it. Come on lets-"

"No, no, answer it. She needs you. I'll walk ahead of you."

I was going to object but he started walking off.

"Hello?" I didn't know how to act. So I just pretended that I had no idea what happened.

"... Stef," Her voice seemed like had been crying from the stuffy nose.

"... What's wrong Mars?"

"Me and Danny,"

"You guys what?" I wanted to hear it from her.

"We broke up." She started crying her eyes out.

"Oh, Mars! Please stop. Listen to me," I began

I heard her sobbing.

"Are you done?" She made a sound, and I took it as a yes.

"Okay. What happened and tell me slowly without crying. You think you can do that?" She made the same sound again.

"We were talking, talking about our future, together. You were going off to Chicago. Danny didn't wanna get into the conversation, and i wanted to. He, he told me to stop and wait till the day comes that you go off, but I didn't and he just left..."

"I really don't know if we're in an thinking process or if we're really done... Stef, I love him..."

I looked up at Danny, his head was down and was rubbing his neck.

"Um, uh I think you should talk to him. If he thinks it's done, then he won't pick up. But if he doesn't wanna talk, he'll pick up and you just talk." I know Danny was listening.

Danny stopped walking, but still looked down at the cement ground.

"Okay, I will. Later. Stef, I need you here..." Mary said, that made me think of Phillip.

I didn't say anything.

"Stef? You there."

"Uh, yeah. I, i'll be there."

"Thanks Steffani." And with that she hung up.

Danny turned around. "She said she's gonna call later, but she wants me to come over."

"You should go. I'll just hang with Phillip."

"Uh, Phillip was taking me somewhere today. As an official date."

"Oh, dang. You should go. Just tell Mars, she would understand..." He said

"Dan, you don't get it. Mars..." I stopped

"Mars what? What'd she say?" He said walking up to me.

"I can't say. I'm sorry. But I think when she does call you, you should answer and hear what she has to say. I gotta go home tell Phillip i'll be with Mars all day. You guys can hang out." I didn't let him say anything, I just started running.

Once I got home, I stopped to take a breath. I went to my room and got changed. I got food, and ran out the door. Mary only lived a few blocks away. I took my phone out to call Phillip.

"Hey, I was just going to call you again? I'm driving to your house as we speak, you ready?" Dang it, I'm late.

"Phillip. I can't. Something important came up and I have to go. Raincheck?"

"Wa- what are you talking about? I'm almost ther-" he stopped talking.

"Hello? Phil-" A jeep parked itself right next to me. Phillip ran out.

"Where are you going, that's so important." He asked.

"Mary needs me. It's really important, I'm sorry Phillip. Danny probably is going to ask to hang out with you, you should."

"How- how would you know that? He called me right when I was out the door. I told him I was going to be on a date with you."

"Phillip, i'm truly sorry. Mary needs me. Maybe another time." I looked into his eyes, and just walked off. He started calling my name, as to which I started running.

I finally got to Mary's block as when I started to stop running. But that was when the same jeep stopped. Phillip told me to get it, he said he would drop me off at her house. He didn't say anything after.

"Why are you mad?" I blurted out. I don't see why he should be mad.

"What are you talking about?" He said not looking at me.

"You haven't said a word to me. Why?"

"What? I can't concentrate on my driving... We're here." I got out. I started walking to her lawn.

"Call me after you're done." He yelled out. I turned and smiled and continued walking.

Me and Mary spent hours talking about love, future and Dan. She fell asleep after eating ice cream, on my lap. I let her lay on the bed and told Mars's mom to tell Mary to call Dan.

•••••••

What! What did you just read! This is crazy socks! Danny & Mary over??!!? Comment & Vote!!