Chapter 23

I woke up the next morning to my alarm clock. As Phillip said, he was gone. I looked out the window: gone. I brushed my teeth and got ready for school.

"Are you ready for the trip Monday?" Mom asked making us pancakes. I was going to late for school, so I was having cereal and just nodded. She turned around to see me. Daisy came running in.

"I did not think this day would come! I still don't have anything to wear... Stef, after school, maybe we could go shopping?" She asked, practically begging. I just looked at her with a blank expression.

I was about to answer when interrupted by my dad.

"Honey, can you fix my tie?" Mom nodded and did as told.

After, he turned to get the newspaper. "Ready for Monday? Oh what about Dan's party? You've got a heck of a schedule darling." I got up and dumped my bowl into the sink.

"Stef, are you alright?" My mom asked putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I will be, once I understand."

"Understand what?" Dad asked.

"What are you going to do at work today dad?" I said walking up to him.

"Uh, I will be signing some papers about a building... why do you want to know?"

"You're going to take down a building where people live in, just to have room to build some stupid park?"

"It's going to be a big park. But, how do you know this Stef?"

"Phillip told me. That apartment building is Phillip's friend's brother's place to stay. And you're just going to take it away from him. Not only him, but everyone else that lives int that building, where are they going to go?"

"That's my problem. And neither is it yours. Phillip told you to change my mind about this, didn't he? I think you should stop seeing him. I do this job, and get you food, clothing. You should be proud of me for getting you here."

"Oh, come on! The 'this is my roof' card! Dad, we're talking about you taking people's shelter away!"

"Steffani, this is my job, you're talking about. We need the area. And I am not going back to the unemployment line. I am not going back to drinking. I am completely sober. I thought you hated seeing me drunk."

"Are you saying, if you don't take down this building, it's going to cost you your job?"

"I made up my mind. This is end of story."

"No it's not." I said walking to get my backpack and converse on.

"What are you saying? My dad following.

"After school, I'll be joining the protestors, I will be rioting as well."

"Stef." "Honey." Daisy and mom said at the same time.

Dad told them to not say anything with a hand. "If you do that, you won't be going to AOPA. I advise you stop seeing Phillip, and drop this topic if you want to go to this school."

"But dad! That's not fair! I'm leaving in a few weeks! I've been planning for this day!"

"Then you will drop this. You'll forget we ever had this conversation."

"Jack, I think you're going a bit to far here." Mom said.

"Dad, don't do this to Stef. She's just looking out for Phillip."

"I've made up my mind. What will it be?" Dad turned around and faced me.

My mind went into pros and cons list. If I don't do what dad wants, I won't be going to AOPA. My whole life as waited for this to happen. If I do what he says, i'll disappoint Phillip. He'll be heartbroken. If I do what my dad says, I'll have not talk to Phillip. Even if dad said not to see him. I could have the guts to tell him. Phillip didn't want me to ask him in the first place. But I told him to trust me. Decisions, decisions...

"I'll drop it." My family all has different face expressions. My dad was happy, my mom was sad but happy. And Daisy, she was shocked. Probably shocked as to why I didn't go against dad, and fight along with Phillip to try to end this. They wanted to say something but, I ran out for school.

•••••••••••

What do you think? Was it a good chose Stef made? What do you think is gonna happen next?

Tell your friends!

Comment & Vote!!