CHAPTER 20 ~ Past Affairs

The next day Ryan's already downstairs preparing breakfast for himself. It's Anthony's birthday. He wonders what the ball is going to be like. It's been a few years since they've attended one. He looks down at his bare torso as two beautiful hands wrapped themselves around him.

"Pretty risky, don't you think m'lady? My brother's could wake up any second."

"Shhh not if you stay quiet." She says and kisses his back. He shakes his head in amusement and turns around. Their eyes meet and he realizes how happy she looks. So happy it's going to hurt even more to admit to her that she and him cannot be. But if there's anything he's not it's being a liar.

"Listen, Annabelle. You know that-"

"Please don't ruin the moment..." She whines quietly while Ryan gently caresses her hair. He nods in defeat and gives her a soft kiss on the top of her head. But before they can share another kiss, Ryan hears somebody coming down the stairs from outside. 

"Someone is coming!" He whispers loudly and rushes over to the other side of the room, pretending to put down a plate on the table. Annabelle looks at him in confusion before her gaze turns to Anthony who has walked in. "Good morning, Anthony."

"Morning. And good morning to you, Ms. Annabelle. I didn't know Damien came home last night?" They both look at each other, seeking for an response but knowing that Ryan cannot answer for her, she turns back to Anthony.

"Oh he didn't! I just dropped off your basket and Ryan offered for me to stay in the guest room, since it was late." Not convinced by the answer, Anthony remains quiet examining her face expression. By the rate of her heartbeat he can tell that something is off but he cannot figure out if she is lying or simply nervous, so he drops it. Ryan sighs in relief while Anthony takes out a piece of bread and cheese and starts preparing something for himself.

"Oh! I wish you a happy birthday, Anthony. Don't think I forgot." Ryan smiles and gets up to give his brother a hug. Anthony inhales deeply as he returns the hug, wishing for this day to be over soon.

"That's right! It's your birthday! How are you feeling?" Annabelle asks in excitement, but he only shrugs while eating his bread.

"I've got a special surprise for the family."

"You've got a surprise for us?" Ryan chuckles, "But shouldn't we be surprising you for your birthday?"

"Oh come on, Ryan. Like our family is so ordinary" Zachary smirks while walking over to Annabelle from the door. "I wish you a good morning." He speaks softly and takes her hand into his, kissing the back of her palm. Annabelle blushes slightly at the kind gesture and greets him back with a friendly smile. Not happy about the scene in front of him, Ryan turns his back to his brother and cuts himself some fruits.

"So where are our dear parents? Preparing the not so secret ball they have planned?"

"Probably. I suppose they woke up early to finish off a few errands." Ryan responds to Zachary's question. He walks out of the kitchen to go to his room. He doesn't want to admit it, but his head is about to explode from lack of sleep. The nightmare he had tonight was one of the worst he's ever had before. The way this terrible version of himself harmed the girl he cannot stop thinking about, has been haunting him the entire morning. It was terrifying for him to even think about. Whenever he closed his eyes he could see himself abusing the little human girl. All he can think of are her tears and the way he did not bother about her pain and sadness.