CHAPTER 22 ~ Now or Never

RYAN'S P.O.V.

It's been nearly an hour, and I'm still stuck here, waiting for those useless doctors to do something. Perhaps I should have just healed her myself. I notice her caution as I eavesdrop through the door; she hasn't spilled anything about us. All she provided them was her name. She keeps losing consciousness. God, she is so delicate—constantly fainting, stumbling over things, shedding tears at the slightest provocation.

However, I can't dismiss the fact that she bears a number etched into her skin. Where the hell did it come from? How did it appear there? Is something playing tricks with us? Or... someone?

3rd P.O.V.

"Excuse me, sir?" The doctor approached with a careful gaze. "I wanted to inform you that we've managed to stabilize your girlfriend, at least for now. Her fever is still very high but we have administered  ample fluids. Currently, we're awaiting the results of her blood tests and once we have them, we can provide you with a more detailed understanding of her condition."

"She's not my girlfriend."

Nurse:  '-_-

"I'm sorry, but did you listen to me-"

"Yeah yeah, now leave," he sternly orders the nurse, her gaze lingering in disbelief as she reluctantly walks away. He steps inside, the door closing behind him, enveloping the space in an air of tension. As he sits down on the chair in the corner, he can't help but remember the way she called for her mother. It sounded so helpless and upset and...

"Pathetic," he uttered with a yawn, sinking back into the chair. Ryan's gaze bore into her, unraveling her presence as she lies in apparent tranquility. The weight of exhaustion painting her features. The rhythm of her heart reaches his ears, a strong, fast beat akin to that of a small lion. A chuckle escapes him, and he rose, choosing to sit beside her on the bed. His smile dimes as he studies the angelic contours of her face. He's often found himself admiring her in those quiet moments of slumber, be it in his room or hers. She shed the noisy, bothersome, and childish traits that defined her when awake. In the realm of sleep, she retained the essence of her beautiful humanity—like a piece of art at rest. Drawing near, he brings his face close to hers, almost burying it in her neck, immersing himself in the intoxicating sweetness of her scent.

"God..." He whispers, savoring the lingering sweetness of her scent. The fragrance of her hair evokes memories of August winds—gentle, not too cold, with a subtle hint of rain. Raindrops dancing on the emerald leaves, casting an enchanting spell in the warm air.

"Mmnh..." She mutters in her sleep. Ryan strains to decipher her words, but her mumbling eludes him. Abruptly, a knock resonates through the room.

The door creeks open, drawing Ryan's attention. A man enters alongside the nurse, swiftly moving toward Sky, grasping her delicate hand. Ryan, caught off guard, can't process the unfolding scene. Instinctively, he seizes the man by his collar, effortlessly lifting him from the floor, a single brow arches in inquisitive challenge. A steely gaze fixed on the intruder, Ryan scoffs,

"And who are you to touch her?" The nurse hurriedly intervenes, attempting to halt Ryan's iron grip, oblivious to the immense power she's sought to challenge. Yet, Ryan's stood unmoved, his superiority concealed from the unsuspecting occupants of the room.

"Please, I'm her father!"

"Her father?" Ryan's skepticism echoes through the room.