CHAPTER 25 ~ Shared Fun

Carter stands in the kitchen, a sense of responsibility urging him to prepare tea for Sky. As he carefully selects the tea leaves, Zachary saunters in with an air of casual arrogance. Carter looks up, acknowledging his presence.

"What's up?" Carter asks, glancing at Zachary, who seems to have something on his mind. Zachary leans against the kitchen counter, a smirk playing on his lips.

"Don't bother with the tea. She wants to be alone and sleep it off."

Carter furrows his brow, skeptical of Zachary's statement. He knows Sky's mood can be unpredictable, but he also senses something more beneath Zachary's words. Ignoring his instincts, Carter reluctantly puts the teapot down. Carter squints, studying Zachary's expression, sensing a hidden motive.

"Alone? Are you sure that's what she wants?" Zachary waves a dismissive hand.

"Yeah, she needs space. You know how it is, Carter." Carter nods, still not entirely convinced, but he respects Zachary's words and leaves the kitchen. Unbeknownst to Carter, Zachary wears a sly grin as he watches him exit the room, leaving him alone with his deceitful thoughts.

Damien strides into the kitchen, a mysterious bag in his grasp, and Zachary is quick to engage him. The air in the room becomes charged with unspoken tension as Damien raises an inquisitive eyebrow.

"Did you find her?" Damien's deep voice resonates through the room, his piercing gaze fixed on Zachary. He nods, a faint smirk playing on his lips.

"Oh, I found her, all right. In quite a state, though. Little drama queen was a real mess. All filthy, in pain, fever rising." Damien's expression darkens, his concern evident. Zachary chuckles, enjoying the discomfort his revelation brings.

"I guess she didn't trust you enough to stay at the hospital hm?"

Damien's jaw tightens, a subtle flicker of displeasure crossing his face. The bag in his hand seems to hold a significance that transcends the immediate conversation. The kitchen becomes a stage for the unfolding dynamics between the brothers and the unwitting human caught in their web.

Zachary's smirk widens as he playfully taunts Damien. "Looks like our little human wasn't feeling safe in your presence, big brother. She ran away from you like she was running from a monster."

A flicker of annoyance crosses Damien's face, his eyes narrowing as he absorbs Zachary's words. The subtle accusation hangs in the air, and Damien can't escape the uncomfortable truth. Sky not only fled her father in the hospital but also distanced herself from him. The realization weighs heavily on Damien, planting seeds of doubt about the trust Sky once had in him. As anger simmers beneath the surface, he grapples with the unsettling question: has she stopped trusting him?

He decided not to give in to Zachary's provocative comments and leaves to go to Sky's room, the bag in his hand. Despite his initial determination to check on her, he hesitates before knocking. An internal struggle unfolds within him, torn between respecting her space and the concern gnawing at him.

Deciding to err on the side of caution, he inches closer to the door, straining to discern any sounds from within. The room remains silent, leaving him uncertain about whether Sky is asleep or awake. Balancing on the edge of intrusion and genuine care, Damien opts for a compromise.

He leaves the bag outside her room, a small, considerate gesture. Before he retreats, he gives the door a soft knock, hoping that if she's awake, the sound will reach her ears, allowing her the choice of acknowledging his presence or maintaining her solitude.

Meanwhile, Sky finds herself in the bathroom, the stark light reflecting off the tiles. The hospital gown, along with her shorts and top, lies discarded on the floor, leaving her standing vulnerable in her underwear. The mirror reflects her image back to her, and she can't help but notice the myriad of cuts on her back.