12 My whole heart

Damian POV

Reluctantly, I laid Hazel, who was sleeping soundly in the meantime, in her crib. She looked so peaceful and I could swear that our little one was smiling in her sleep. She looked a lot like Kat that way. That little smile, it was so beautiful.

Hazel had my whole heart, although I had only known of her existence for a short week. She had taken my heart by storm. It was very similar to her mother. As soon as I had spent time with Kat, there was no turning back. I would do anything for this helpless little being. That was clear to me from the first second.

Hazel, Bluebell and I had spent a nice day together and it was wonderful to spend time with them. This way I got to know my daughter better and of course Katja as well. She was such a great and devoted mother. I somehow felt that Hazel was giving something to her life. Something she needed. Kat now seemed much more confident, relaxed and generally calmer.

Bluebell stood in the doorway with her eyes firmly on me and a small smile on her lips. It was the same smile I had just seen on Hazel. It was so beautiful. I didn't have the words to describe how much I had missed it. I really tried to be mad at her. But somehow I couldn't do that for long. Part of me could understand why she had reacted that way. Still, I wish she would have just talked to me. Then I probably wouldn't have missed so much. But now it didn't make much sense to think about what could have been. It would probably only lead to us blaming each other. And that wouldn't do either of us any good.

I stepped out of the nursery and Kat quietly closed the door behind me. Together we walked in silence back to the living room.

"Yeah... well... I should head to the hotel now. I still have to check in. Is it okay if I come back tomorrow?" I asked a little unsure of what to do now.

"Of course you can. But.... Um... What do you think about spending the night here? I mean, you don't have to if you don't want to, but I'd like it. I could cook us something and we can talk." suggested Kat, even though she seemed as uncertain as I was. I saw her nervously playing with her fingers.

"I would really like that." I replied.

"Good, why don't you get your things inside. I'll start making us something to eat in the meantime. How does fried rice with vegetables sound?" she wanted to know.

"Sounds perfect to me." I replied with a smile.

While Kat made her way to the kitchen, I went out to my rental car to get my suitcase. Somehow it felt good to know that I could spend the night closer to my girls.

With my luggage in hand, I went back inside and then joined Kat in the kitchen to see if I could help her. She was standing with her back to me, filling a pot with water. Because I couldn't resist, I walked up to her and carefully wrapped my arms around her waist from behind. Immediately I felt her relax and gently lean against me.

"Hey..." she sighed.

"Hey... Listen... I've been thinking... what do you think about you and me and Miss Hazel going on a date tomorrow?" I asked quietly in her ear.

"As long as you're absolutely sure that's what you want, I'd really like that." she replied as she turned her head slightly in my direction.

"Great. I think we'll have a wonderful day." I said as I pressed a kiss to her hair.

"But do you even know your way around here? Maybe I should figure something out?" wanted Kat to know.

"Bluebell, trust me. I'll think of something special. After all, this will be our first date. About time, if you ask me." I laughed and she joined in.

After we cooked dinner and ate together, we sat down in the living room to watch a movie and chat. At some point I noticed Kat's breathing slowing down and deepening while her head was leaning on my shoulder. I reached for the remote control and turned off the TV. Then I turned carefully so that I could lift her into my arms. Gently, so as not to wake her, I carried her into her bedroom. I laid Katja on the sheets and then covered her. I gave her a kiss on the forehead and was about to go back into the living room when I heard her voice.

"Damian... where are you going?" she asked sleepily.

"Back to the living room to sleep," I explained to her.

"No... you don't. The couch is way too hard and uncomfortable for you. You can sleep here." she breathed.

"Do you think that's a good idea Bluebell?" I asked a little uncertainly.

"Of course it is. And I'd like some snuggles. If that's okay with you." she replied softly.

"All right. I'll be right back," I promised her before heading to the bathroom to freshen up.

A short time later I climbed into bed with her, but she was already fast asleep. Carefully I slid my arm under her to be able to pull her to me. And despite her deep sleep, I heard her let out a relieved, content sigh.