14 First date

Damian POV

"Okay...I think we have everything we need. And I put sunscreen on Hazel and me like you requested. So... I take it we're spending the afternoon outside?" Bluebell asked me, again trying to figure out exactly what I had planned.

"Something like that." I replied with a grin as I watched her strap Hazel with the baby carrier into the car while I struggled with the stroller.

"Bluebell? A little help please?" I finally asked as I realized I couldn't manage to fold the thing up and load it into the trunk.

Kat came over to me with a big grin on her face. She bent over and just pulled a little switch and the stroller folded up.

"You could have told me it was that easy," I muttered as I loaded it in.

"But why? You insisted on doing it alone." she laughed.

And unfortunately she was right. I thought it couldn't be that hard to figure out how it worked. But as it turned out, I was wrong.

"All right. Do you really have everything? Let's go then," I said, and then we got in the car to get on the road.

About 20 minutes later we arrived at our first destination for the day. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw Kat's confused expression when she saw where I had driven us.

"We're going to the mall?" she asked.

"This is just the first stop. I want to spoil my girls a little. You can have anything you like for you and Hazelnut. When we're done here we'll move on to the next part of the program." I replied as I couldn't help but smile knowingly.

Together we went to the mall. While I pushed the stroller with Hazel in it, I waited for Katja to decide which store she wanted to go to first. But somehow she seemed a little hesitant. Once again I saw her nervously playing with her fingers.

"What's wrong?" I wanted to know as I put a hand on her lower back.

"I don't know what we're doing here. I mean... we have everything we need." she replied softly.

"Bluebell, listen... Today is not about what you need. It's about doing something good for you two. You can pick out a new dress or a bathing suit or even jewelry. For Hazel, we can pick out any toy you think she'll eventually like. You've had all the work, and I've contributed nothing. That means I want to do something good for you," I explained as I reached for her hand.

"That's okay... I guess..." said Kat, but grimaced a little.

I laughed at her expression, knowing full well that she didn't actually like it. But she really tried not to be a killjoy. And with that she took a deep breath and finally went into the first store. 

With Hazel on my arm, I sat in front of a dressing room waiting for Kat to show me the dress she was trying on. But to be honest, I was waiting more for the bathing suit she had also been holding in her hand.

"D? Can you take a look?" I heard Kat call out.

I walked into the dressing room with Hazel and my jaw almost dropped, she looked so beautiful.

"My goodness, Bluebell! That's just breathtaking. Where did you hide that butt from me?" I asked with a smirk as I looked at her backside.

"Oh D. Stop." she giggled sheepishly and Hazel started giggling too when she heard her mommy.

"Mommy looks so beautiful, doesn't she, Hazelnut?" I said to our baby.

"I don't. And that butt you're talking about is called pregnancy weight." replied Kat as she turned back and forth in front of the mirror.

"It looks great on you. But I can't wait to see the bikini," I smirked.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not wearing it. I'm not back in shape for it yet. Why don't you go ahead and hang it back?" said Kat, pressing the item into my free hand and then giving Hazel a kiss on the forehead.

"Are you sure you don't want to keep going?" I asked when she came back to us and said she was done.

I was a little disappointed since we only went to 3 stores and 2 of them were just for Hazel. I would have preferred her to pick out more, but there would definitely be a next time.

"Yeah, I'm getting hungry and Hazel will be soon too." she replied.

"Okay. I'll go pay. Why don't you guys head out to the car already? I'll catch up with you." I said as I handed her the car keys.

"Good idea. Then I can nurse her in the car. See you in a bit." agreed Kat and then my girls went on their way.

But before I got in line at the checkout, I took one more item off the shelf that I knew Bluebell would need later. I paid and then made a little detour back to the first store we were in to buy one more little thing for Hazel.

----------------------

"Bluebell? We're here," I said softly when I saw that she had fallen asleep just like our daughter.

I saw her open her eyes and look around quickly. As she took in her surroundings I saw a bright smile appear on her lips.

"The beach? Damian, that's wonderful!" she said.

"I was hoping you would like it. I've booked a cabana for us so Hazel will be in the shade. And you're about to get something to eat, too, Bluebell," I explained as I helped her get out of the car and then got our things out of the car.

Bluebell took Hazel in her arms and then we made our way to the beautiful cabana that stood close to the ocean. I watched Kat take deep breaths and soak in the scent of the Pacific. Her shoulders relaxed as she sat down on the soft white cushions with Hazel.

"Damian, that... that is such a beautiful idea. I wish you would have told me so I would have been more prepared." she said, overwhelmed.

"I have everything. I got a rashguard for Hazel, more sunscreen, and a bathing suit for you. I picked it out at the store. Since you didn't want a bikini, I thought you would like this one since it's the same color and design." I explained as I sat down next to them.

"You're really something, Mister Priest." she said, taking my chin in her hand and pulling my face down to her.

Her lips were just as soft as I remembered. Even the little smile on them I could feel through the kiss. And I knew that this, this day of our first date, Hazel's first day at the ocean, would always be one of my fondest memories.