13 Nightly conversation

Katja POV

I was awakened from my sleep a little rough when I heard Hazel whimpering over the baby monitor. Slowly I opened my eyes and looked at the glowing digits of my alarm clock. It was 4 hours to the minute since her last feeding.

Carefully, I pushed Damian's arm away so I could sit up, but he stopped me.

"Go back to sleep. I'll check on the baby." he mumbled in a sleepy voice as he sat up and swung his long legs out of bed.

"As much as I appreciate that. I'm afraid you don't have the right body parts to satisfy her need, D. Although I think it's really cute that you want to try," I replied as I reached for his hand.

"Oh... Yeah, I hadn't thought about that." said Damian as he rubbed his eyes tiredly. 

It was clearly not his time. When I left the room I saw that he had already fallen asleep again, but he slept sitting up. The fatigue was obviously so strong that he no longer managed to lie down properly. The poor guy. We robbed him of his beauty sleep.

Arriving in the nursery, I took my crying baby out of her crib and sat in the rocking chair with her in my arms to nurse her. As always, she had a big appetite.

"Oh my little Hazelnut. I am so happy to have you. You are truly the sweetest little thing there is. Mommy knows she messed up big time. But I promise you that you can always count on Mommy and Daddy from now on. Your daddy loves you so much already. I wonder what Daddy has planned for us tomorrow, Hazelnut.

I have to tell you, I'm a little nervous. It's good that you're with me, baby girl. Even though I have you, it's my first real date. I know, I know. Not in the order that it's supposed to happen. But to be fair... I don't think anyone can blame me, considering your gorgeous daddy. I hope we can work this out. This whole family thing, I mean." I babbled quietly to Hazel as she finished nursing and I changed her diaper afterwards.

Then I put her back in her crib. Hazel's head had not even touched the sheet when she was already fast asleep again. With a smile on my lips, I gently stroked her head before heading back to the bedroom.

Hopefully Damian had settled into bed properly by now. The last thing I wanted was for him to fall over and land with his face on the floor. That probably wouldn't be the best way to be woken up. When I came into the room I saw that my worry was not justified. Damian was stretched out in bed and clutching his pillow tightly.

I lay down at his side again and tried to make myself comfortable without disturbing his sleep. As if he sensed I was back, his long arms found their way around my middle once more.

"Bluebell?" he breathed, not quite awake.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Don't be nervous. I'll be there, no matter what." he murmured in my ear.

"How do you...?" I asked, a little dumbfounded.

"Baby monitor... I got you... I love my girls. Don't worry." murmured Damian.

"I love you, too. And Hazel does too. More than you know." I whispered as I turned in his arms and gently placed my hand against his cheek.

I wasn't sure if he had heard it or not, because he was already back asleep. But the small smile that lingered on his mouth gave me hope that he had heard it.