'Lineage'

Hunter's eyes scanned The Three Broomsticks, trying to disregard the students who had rather annoyingly swarmed the pub

Hunter's eyes scanned The Three Broomsticks, trying to disregard the students who had rather annoyingly swarmed the pub. Her mother was easy to spot in a crowd of people, as people usually followed her around or stared her down, but she was nowhere to be seen.

"You must be Hunter-Rose, if I'm not mistaken?" a plump, friendly woman asked from behind the bar.

"Yes, ma'am, pleasured to meet you." Hunter smiled, before turning to look over the crowd again. She'd been taught by her father to be kind but not overly involved with people who recognised her, he was a rather paranoid man.

"Oh, sweetheart, your mum told me to look out for you. I'm Madam Rosmerta, I own this little pub. She's sat in a private booth downstairs." the woman lightly informed her. Hunter whipped her head around, making eye contact with her.

"Private booth? Are those a thing here?"

"Yes, they're private for a reason. Come, I'll take you to her."

ₓ˚. ୭ ˚○◦˚.˚◦○˚ ୧ .˚ₓ

"Mum!" Hunter chuckled as she engulfed her mother in a hug.

These booths were clearly top secret, as there were only three of them and they were all in use. Ministry officials that Hunter recognised were sat, huddled over butterbeers.

Valeria, Hunter's mother, was sat in a timber booth decorated with fairy lights and real green vines. It was quaint in nature and beautiful to behold. Valeria wore a purple silk chiffon ensemble, small flowers dancing on the dress, and her light blonde hair laid straight over her shoulders.

Hunter immediately felt she had underdressed, hanging up her floor length brown coat and revealing her flared jeans and simple white button shirt.

"'My darling Rose! Oh, I've missed you. How's school been? Any news?" she asked as Hunter down, setting a black leather satchel besides her.

Hunter bit her lip in thought, thinking about Regulus, but shook her head instead. Later, she thought, but she must hear that from me.

"How's Leo been? And father?" Hunter asked, sipping on a butterbeer her mother had ordered her.

"Fine, both fine. Leo's excited for Hogwarts, as you can imagine. Can't wait for his Base Learning to be over." Valeria chuckled at the thought of her son.

"Merlin, I remember those lessons. Ms Holli was a waking nightmare." Hunter shuddered.

"Perhaps, but it's essential to have that knowledge of maths and English, love." her mother responded wisely.

Hunter chuckled, and looked down at her butterbeer. She didn't want to change topics, but she had to talk to her mother about their lineage.

Swiftly, Hunter opened the satchel she had brought with her and placed down four large books, all about Veelas. She heard her mother sigh softly, but decided to ignore this.

"Okay so, going off what you've told me, these books and what I've been told by people; I've got to be a Quarter-Veela, right? I've left bookmarks in the most important parts, and-"

"Rose, stop. You're a Quarter-Veela, no need to theorise."

Although not said with much malice, her mothers words hit her like a ton of bricks. They had been lightly taught about Veelas in the third year, and the conclusion was that Veelas were not human. Even those of the slightest descent were sub-human, and there was nothing that could be done about it.

Looking back, Hunter remembered the third year DADA teacher, Professor Okoye, looking at her when teaching this lesson. Why?

"Why didn't you tell me?" Hunter squeaked. Valeria rolled her eyes, not one to pity others.

"Because of the way we're seen by others. I wanted to protect you and Leo from that, darling. I expected you to find out due to our families lineage and history, although you clearly aren't mature enough for that conversation." she huffed. Hunter gaped at her.

"Mum, this is big news. I'm not human. I think it's fair enough to be somewhat disgusted at you for hiding this from me." Hunter spat.

"You are human, Rose, don't let people tell you that you're not. You're just a different type of human. But there was no need for your tone."

Hunter wasn't an angry person, and resisted the urge to lash out. Instead she stood up, took her bag and put her coat on.

"Right, well, I'm off. You can keep those books, the librarians don't chase me up on things. Send father and Leo my love." Hunter leaned over to hug her mum, and a tense embrace occurred between the two.

"Oh, and mother?"

Valeria looked up at her daughter, her eyebrows screwed down in annoyance at her daughters calm.

"Yes, love?"

"I'm going out with Regulus Black. I don't really like him, not like that, but he asked me and... that's that. I felt that you and father should hear it from me." and with that, Hunter turned on her heel and left the booth. She couldn't fight the tears from her eyes, but wiped them away before anyone could see or judge her for her weakness.

Valeria sat, stunned at her daughter. Concern started to bubble up in her and, although she took grievance with the snark in her daughters tone, her maternal instincts caused her to shudder in fear.

Her daughter was ignorant to the Black family, and the entwinement of the two families. They famously despised each other, and Hunter was yet to know why.

"Oh, love..."