'For The Record'

The Party

"James! Truth or dare?" Hunter shouted over the music that blasted throughout the Hufflepuff common room that night

Charlotte Keenan, being a muggle-born girl, had set up a record player to last for the night of celebration; the volume being increased by magic.

"Dare, obviously!" the Marauder responded, grinning.

Hunter's eyes scanned the room and fell upon Lily and Marlene McKinnon, who were dancing with each other along with most other people in the room.

"Flirt with Marlene in front of Lily." Hunter stated, and James' smile dropped as Sirius, Remus and Peter laughed heartily.

"Oh no, Hunts! Don't say that! Let me do another one!" James pleaded at the Hufflepuff, who was laughing alongside the other boys.

"I didn't take you for a coward, James-y..." Hunter lightly mocked, taking a swig of her drink. James looked over at Lily and Marlene, straight-faced. He gave his cup over to Remus before marching towards the two girls.

"Oh, this I've got to hear." Sirius cackled, taking a hold of Hunter's hand and walking in the same direction as James. Hunter was laughing as she readjusted her short denim halter dress, feeling a lot more free than she had for a while.

"James, are you drunk, mate?" the raspy voice of Marlene McKinnon asked as she looked James up and down, trying to figure out what he was up to.

"No! Just... wanted to see... you, McKinnon?" he spoke slowly and unconvincingly, trying his best to avoid Lily's amused face.

"Grand, well you've seen me now." Marlene smiled at her joke, flicking her ashy blonde waves behind her back.

Her eyes went from James to Hunter and Sirius, who were rather indiscreetly watching from a very close distance. They laughed loudly at interaction and caught the attention of all three Gryffindors.

"Hunter? Black? What have you done?" Marlene asked, sending the pair into another small fit of giggles.

"Hunter dared James to talk to his one true love, is all." Remus, who appeared by Hunter and Sirius seemingly out of thin air, said with a straight face despite swaying drunkenly. James burned red as his friends all laughed, including Lily and Marlene.

"She did not! She said-" he began, whipping his head around from the group of three to the pair that he stood before.

"I'm very flattered, James, but I don't really feel the same way. Sorry, babes!" Marlene placed a faux-sympathetic hand on the Marauders shoulder.

"I, for one, am glad he's moved on from me. What was the baby name you were thinking of?" Lily joined in, cocking an eyebrow.

"No! No baby name plans! Unless you had some brewing, Lils?" James asked the red-head, poorly flirting. Hunter, Sirius and Remus all groaned, small smiles on their faces.