2. Still dashing as ever.

"What's going on at work right now?" I inquired, more to myself than to Mavis, as we entered DailyPlus to begin work.

Security was all over the place, and employees were scurrying up and down. Everyone was behaving in a very unprofessional manner, as though they were insane. It appeared as though a hurricane had just blown through and all of a sudden everything had altered.

"I have no idea." Mavis mumbled just as dumbfounded as I was.

"This is the first time I've heard this from you. You typically do know everything." I snickered as I continued to observe everyone running around.

"In any case, everything is new at first. I guess I never got the memo this morning." Mavis pulled me along to one of her colleagues who stood printing papers.

"We appear to be the only ones not acting out of character, so hopefully we're not getting fired." Mavis's remarks caused me to gasp.

"Oh my god." I gasped realizing it might indeed be true.

"What's going on here at the office?" Mavis questioned the female who seemed startled as if afraid of something.

"The boss simply entered the room and began ordering everyone around. Every delinquent report, record, and file needs to be finished today; otherwise, we'll be on a list of people who will be fired by tomorrow morning. No one wants to get laid off considering this entire city is so densely populated with more people than jobs." As she finished, Mavis and I both gulped at the prospect of being fired.

"B-but, it is not possible. I have no chance of finishing three enormous files of invoices by the end of today. Three weeks ago was the deadline, and I'm just halfway there! What the hell do I do?" I almost start crying as I whisper yelled.

Thank you, Mr. Bloomfield, for being so cheap as to not recruit more workers and instead overtaxing your understaffed administrative crew with more work than was truly necessary.

My thoughts turned immediately to my precious babies Aiden and Ava. What in the world would I do if I couldn't give them food and a roof over their heads?

After running away a few years ago, I was so broke that I thought moving to New Zealand, a country I had admired greatly when I was younger, would be great for me. However, due to my limited funds, I was unable to stay in a better city.

"Don't take it so seriously, you know the boss, never one to keep his words." Mavis tried to reassure to me but I could sense deep down that she was very worried as well.

Mavis worked for the news/social media campaign section of Dailyplus, which is one of the reasons she always knew everything since she had to know everything, whereas I worked as a filing clerk in the administration department.

We ran a medium-sized insurance company. Called Dailyplus care but usually disregard the care part as Mr. Bloomfield actually cared nothing for it's employees and clients. Mr. Bloomfield simply wanted money.

We both separated and I headed to my office workstation quickly trying to cover all that was needed to be done along with my coworkers who were frantically going crazy.

One of the reasons I had so much unfinished work was that I had to leave for home at precisely five every evening to pick up my children from their nanny, while most of the time the others stayed back and finished their job. I had no one else to babysit my babies, yet if I could go back in time, I wouldn't do anything differently. They are my pride and joy.

"According to what I've heard, Mr. Bloomfield's tenure as CEO of Dailyplus is coming to an end today, and he wants to leave the business in a position that makes it appear to be doing well rather than in the deplorable condition that it is currently in. Everyone here knows that ship has already sailed and died a long time ago. Now he has us over here desperately trying to hold onto the little sorry excuse for a job." Monica spoke up.