33. In tears.

Dante's Pov

The shock and anger that surged through me upon discovering that someone close had cruelly kidnapped my beloved children were unutterable.

The mere thought that this person, whom I had trusted, could commit such an atrocious act left me with a burning resolve to bring my children back safely and punish her immensely.

For me, the notion of sending Catherine to prison felt inadequate. Prison was designed for humans, but Catherine's actions had been nothing short of inhumane. She had committed a heinous act, betraying the trust I had mistakenly placed in her.

In ridding ourselves of her presence, I couldn't help but feel conflicted about the justice she deserved. Nevertheless, the safety and well-being of my children were paramount, and I knew I had to act swiftly to protect them.

After ensuring Catherine was no longer a threat, I rushed to untie Ava and Aiden, my heart pounding with a mixture of joy and relief.

The sight of their tear-streaked faces tugged at my soul, and their cries for help echoed in my ears long after they were free from their bonds.

Their little arms wrapped around me in tight embraces of relief, and I felt the swell of emotion threaten to overcome me. Tears welled in my eyes as I peppered them with kisses, holding them close to my heart.

The weight of the ordeal my babies had endured was heavy, but in that moment, their presence brought a sense of calm and reassurance that everything would be alright.

From this day forward, my priorities had shifted. Ava, Aiden along with Avelyn became my primary concern, and I embraced my responsibility as the twin's father with unwavering resolve. Their well-being, happiness, and safety would be my guiding star, guiding every decision I made.

"Please don't leave us." Ava's tearful plea pierced through my heart, her small hands clinging to me tightly while her brother, Aiden, joined in the desperate embrace.

Their bodies trembled with fear, and I vowed right then and there to be their unwavering protector, never again allowing them to experience such terror.

With a voice as gentle as a whisper, I reassured them, "I won't leave you two, not ever again. I'm here for you." Carefully, I guided them outside the room, ensuring they didn't catch a glimpse of Catherine, now concealed from their view.

Once we were away from that haunting scene, I tenderly placed them in the safety of my car. I took extra care to buckle them up. As I fastened their seatbelts, I whispered words of comfort, reminding them that I would be by their side.

The drive to the nearest hospital was a mix of emotions. Ava and Aiden's presence in the backseat was a constant reminder of the immense responsibility I held as their father. Their trust in me was a gift I would cherish and protect with all my being.

Upon arriving at the hospital, I held them in my arms firmly, providing reassurance with every step we took. The medical staff, understanding the gravity of the situation, treated us with utmost care and empathy. I watched over Ava and Aiden as they underwent a thorough checkup.

Once they were finished, I made sure to provide them with fruits, yogurt, juices and sandwiches to build their strength back up as they were hungry and considering it was the quickest things I could come up with. I gritted my teeth in anger, my kids were starving, given scraps to eat and treated like animal. Shooting Catherine in the heart doesn't seem like the right things I should've done; I should've tortured her.

"Where's mumma?" Ava's innocent inquiry mirrored that of her brother, Aiden, who was equally concerned about their mother's whereabouts.

But before I could respond, the room was suddenly filled with a familiar, heart-wrenching shriek – the cry of their mother, Avelyn.