24. That woman.

My heart throbbed painfully within my chest, its rhythmic beats echoing my escalating emotions, as Dante's piercing gaze bore into me. The revelation he had just unleashed left me gasping for breath, a chaos of disbelief and fear swirling within my mind.

How could I have let him discover my true identity? The weight of his knowledge settled upon me, leaving me trembling with a mixture of astonishment and fear. I stood up.

The room seemed to spin, and my thoughts raced to the implications of Dante's revelation. If he knew who I truly was, did he also know of our babies together?

I hadn't told him when I was drunk as I remember everything but why had he planned this day? Why had he planned a day for parents to bring their kids to work and then call me a liar when I told him they were sick?

The mere mention of them in the past had now become a haunting specter, and I wondered if Dante had pieced together the fragments of truth. The realization struck me like a lightening, threatening to shatter the fragile illusion I had carefully maintained.

Desperately grasping for control, I fought to anchor myself in reality. I summoned every ounce of strength to mask my inner turmoil, attempting to dismiss his words as preposterous while simultaneously raising a shield of defense.

Deep down, however, an unsettling intuition gnawed at my core, whispering that it might already be too late to salvage the situation.

"I-I have no..." My words were abruptly halted as Dante's glare cut through me like a blade.

He silenced my feeble attempt at denial, his eyes still fixed upon me with an intensity that sent shivers down my spine as he delivered a warning that echo through the room.

"Before you try to deceive me any further, know that I possess undeniable proof that unequivocally links you to the name Avelyn Harrison. If I were in your shoes, I would exercise caution with any further lies you plan to weave in that mouth of yours, Avelyn. I will not tolerate being deceived by you any longer." Dante's voice, though composed, carried an undertone of determination, intensifying the gravity of the moment. 

He held my gaze decisively.

The room thickened with unspoken tension, emotions swirling. My heart, now burdened not only with the weight of my secret but also with the impending consequences, pulsed with an undeniable mix of anguish, fear, and regret.

His words struck me with such force that I found myself at a loss for words, desperately fighting back the tears that threatened to spill over.

I felt a sense of weakness and vulnerability envelop me, as if all my defenses had been stripped away, leaving me exposed and defenseless. In that moment, I yearned to escape this agonizing situation, willing to do anything to be free of its suffocating grip.

Now it all became clear. The reason behind why he made me his personal assistant, the constant questioning, the sudden change in demeanor towards me after putting me in the hospital, why he brought me on that trip, why he kissed me... even why he had put Mark on probation. He was jealous. Everything fell into place, making sense of his actions and behavior.

He knew all along.

How could I have been so blind?

"You left me. You left me for nearly four years, Avelyn," Dante's voice cut through the silence, seething with a venomous mix of anger and hurt. "The woman I would have moved mountains for, the one I trusted above all else, betrayed me. Your heart turned to stone, and I would have fallen to my knees and done anything for you. What did I get in return?"

Dante's calm tone carried a fiery rage that simmered beneath the surface. His eyes burned with a mix of frustration and resentment, each word he uttered piercing through me like a dagger.