39. The end.

Epilogue....

5 months later....

The hours at the office seemed to stretch endlessly, my thoughts relentlessly drawn to Avelyn and the twins. They occupied the core of my world, a loyal sanctuary in the midst of life's chaos. Avelyn, the woman who had once been a part of my past and had carried my twins.

The media swiftly circulated the information about her return and the revelation of my twins.

This created a storm of rumors and invasive inquiries as people tried to make sense of the situation. The sudden reappearance of Avelyn, intertwined with the surprising revelation of the twins, captured widespread attention.

Only a carefully controlled interview had quelled the storm, though barely scratching the surface. Despite my efforts, I couldn't shake the feeling that these changes were taking a toll on Avelyn. Yesterday, her distance had been notable, leaving me with an unsettled feeling.

As the minutes ticked on, unease crept into the core of my being, a constant companion. Why hadn't Avelyn called me today or why haven't she picked up my calls or messages? Why had her messages remained silent?

Each passing moment deepened my worry, conjuring worst-case scenarios in my mind. With every passing hour, a growing unease settled in the pit of my stomach.

As the sun began its descent, casting long shadows across the office, my anxiety reached its peak. The paperwork in front of me blurred as my mind raced through scenarios of potential disaster.

Maybe they had decided to leave again the memory of that painful separation still fresh in my mind. Or worse, what if something had happened to them?

Unable to bear the suspense any longer, I picked up my phone and dialed the home number for the fifth time hoping someone would finally pick up.

Each ring felt like an eternity, my heart pounding in my chest. Finally, someone picked up on the other end, and my mom's composed yet solemn voices greeted me.

"Dante, we need you to come home as soon as you can."

My throat tightened, and panic surged within me. "Is everything alright? Is Avelyn, okay? Are my kids doing, okay?"

Her response was cryptic, her words held with a seriousness that set my nerves on edge. "We can't discuss it over the phone. Just come home quickly."

Not wasting anymore time I rushed towards my car before rushing through traffic, my mind racing with all the worst possibilities. When I finally reached at home, it seemed pretty much calm, as I made my way through the front door, my eyes were met not with a scene of disaster, but with one of celebration.

The living room was adorned with decorations, and Avelyn and the twins along with my family emerged from behind the couch, a mischievous smile playing on her lips.

"Surprise!" the twins cried out; their faces lit up with excitement.

Confusion and relief flooded through me as I took in the unexpected scene. Avelyn's arms wrapped around me, and I held her as if I'd never let go. Her laughter was a soothing melody that washed away the fear that had gripped me.

In that room stood everyone - both my parents and Avelyn's parents, along with Mavis and a select few close associates.

"Caught you off guard, didn't we?" Avelyn's words brushed against my ear, her eyes alight with a subtle amusement that matched her tone.

In truth, Avelyn's recent distance had occupied much of my thoughts, eclipsing even the knowledge of my own impending birthday.

"The twins," Avelyn began, her voice maintaining an air of composure as she continued, "desired to plan a surprise for you, Dante." Her eyes retained their glint of amusement yet held a depth that hinted at a deeper understanding of the moment's significance.

"I apologize if our actions startled you, but your return was taking an unexpectedly long time," my mother offered in a composed manner, her words carefully chosen to convey her sentiment.

Shifting my attention to the twins, their radiant expressions exuding an aura of innocence and affection, I felt a wave of emotion wash over me. Without hesitation, I enfolded them both in a tight embrace, their presence igniting a warmth that spread through my chest.

"It's perfect," I commented, my lips curving into a small smile as I savored the overwhelming happiness coursing through me.

The twins grabbed my hands, excitement evident in their sparkling eyes. "Come on, Daddy!" they exclaimed, pulling me toward a beautifully decorated cake.

As the twins led me to the cake, their voices joined by the rest of the room, they began to sing "Happy Birthday." My heart swelled with gratitude, overwhelmed by the love that surrounded me.

When the song ended, I closed my eyes and made a wish before blowing out the candles. As the room erupted in applause and cheers, I felt a profound sense of happiness, knowing that I was exactly where I belonged – in the arms of my loving family.

The celebrations continued well into the night, laughter and joy filling every corner of the house. The twins eventually succumbed to the excitement and exhaustion, falling asleep on the couch amidst their half-eaten cake. Avelyn's warm smile and tender touch guided me away from the festivities, leading me to our bedroom.

"I have one more surprise for you, Dante," she whispered, her eyes alight with affection as she went inside the closet.

"I have something to give you, something I know you've been secretly wanting for months," she smiled, handing me a small box with a mischievous glint in her eye.

She nestled close, her presence a comforting embrace. "Happy birthday, my love," she whispered, her voice a tender caress.

"What is it?" I questioned; my curiosity piqued.

"Open it," she encouraged, a playful tone dancing in her voice.

With a mixture of eagerness and caution, I carefully unwrapped the gift. The paper yielded to my touch, revealing a pair of delicate pink baby socks nestled within the box. My eyes widened in surprise, and my gaze shifted between the tiny socks and Avelyn, the enormity of the revelation dawning on me.

"You're kidding me right now?" I asked, disbelief and joy mingling in my voice.

Her eyes met mine with a radiant grin. "I'm serious, although I have no idea what gender the baby is, but I am one-hundred percent pregnant." she affirmed, the sincerity in her voice echoing the elation coursing through my heart.

A slow, incredulous smile illuminated my face, an involuntary reaction to the stunning reality before me. Before my conscious mind could catch up, my arms were already enfolding Avelyn, drawing her close as my lips met hers in a kiss that ignited with a breathless, passionate intensity.

In that timeless moment, words became nonexistent, the currents of unspoken emotions surging through me, their intensity speaking more eloquently than any uttered sentiment ever could.

"Now you can experience firsthand my mood swings, the aching feet, the unusual cravings, and all the other wonderfully strange quirks that come with pregnancy," Avelyn teased, her laughter a melody that danced in the air.

A chuckle escaped me, my heart brimming with an inexplicable warmth. "Thank you!" I exclaimed, tears of happiness welling in my eyes.

Avelyn's arms encircled me, her embrace a cocoon of affection. "Awe," she whispered, a gentle affection coloring her tone.

In that tender embrace, the room seemed to radiate with the glow of our shared happiness. It was a realization that transcended words, a moment where the full weight of our journey as parents became clear – an unexpected twist of fate, yet a path that promised boundless joy.

               ******The End******

To all who read my book to the end, a heartfelt thank you for taking this journey with me❣️ Your support and dedication mean everything. Thank you♥