30. The final breaking point.

A relentless and persistent knocking resonated through the door of my sanctuary, mirroring the ignored pleas that had preceded it. The weight of my predicament tugged at the very core of my being, a constant reminder of the tangled web I found myself trapped in.

Confined within the walls of this room, which had once been a safe haven, my heart couldn't help but ache with a profound sense of despair.

The absence of my precious babies, their laughter and warmth replaced by an empty void, gnawed at my soul, while Dante's betrayal by siding with Catherine inflicted an additional layer of anguish upon my already fragile state.

This room felt like an emotional prison, its confines closing in on me with each passing moment. The bleak reality of my situation loomed large, with no visible path to escape or liberate myself from this suffocating predicament.

I didn't even receive information about my babies no matter how hard I tried to get them from Dante.

It was as if I had been marooned on an isolated island of emotional turmoil, deprived of any news or solace, my yearning for a lifeline going unanswered.

Amidst this bleak and desolate existence, a low, desperate whisper broke through the door, carrying the familiar voice of Mavis. "Avelyn!" Her voice reached my ears, filled with a sense of urgency and genuine concern.

Reluctantly, I rose from the comfort of my bed, feeling the weight of exhaustion pulling me down, and turned the doorknob. As the door swung open, Mavis stepped into the room, her presence offering a fleeting respite from the prevailing heaviness.

Her eyes swept across the room, taking in the modern aesthetics, and a gasp of admiration escaped her lips. "I love your room," she exclaimed, momentarily distracted from the prevailing gloom by the external beauty.

Feeling a mixture of weariness and resignation, I retreated back to the soft sanctuary of my bed, seeking solace within its familiar embrace.

The weight of the world settled upon my shoulders, and I struggled to summon the energy or desire to engage in idle pleasantries. "So, that's it?" Mavis frowned; disappointment etched on her face. "Are you simply going to lay here all day, consumed by sadness?" Her words hung in the air, challenging me to confront the depths of my despair, and forcing me to make a choice—succumb to its relentless grip or find the strength to rise above it.

"Well, what do you want?" I exclaimed, my voice tinged with frustration and desperation. "I'm essentially trapped in this suffocating house, cut off from any means of finding my precious babies, all because Dante believes I'll be safer cocooned in this confounded place. I refuse to subject myself to witnessing their sickening display of affection outside these walls."

Mavis crossed her arms, her expression a mixture of defiance and concern. "So, that's it then?" she retorted; her words laced with a touch of bitterness. "You're just going to give up, just like you did years ago, surrendering to this conniving woman who continuously disrupts your family? And now she has even managed to sway your own husband against you and kidnapped your babies."

Her pointed words struck a nerve, evoking a whirlwind of emotions within me. I could feel the anger bubbling beneath the surface, fueled by the sheer injustice of the situation. Yet, intertwined with the anger was a deep sense of sorrow, a profound sadness that threatened to engulf me.

I sighed heavily, my gaze meeting Mavis's unwavering stare. "Well, what's your grand suggestion, Mavis?" I asked, my voice a mixture of resignation and defiance. "What course of action do you propose?"

Mavis's eyes glinted with determination as she leaned in closer. "I suggest you stop being a victim and fight back," she declared, her voice filled with unwavering conviction.