28. Dante's Home.

"Wake up!" With urgency coursing through my veins, I reached out and shook Mavis gently yet insistently, witnessing her eyelids flutter open.

She blinked, her vision gradually clearing as she slowly emerged from the haze of the chloroform that had enveloped her just moments ago.

The weight of the situation bore down heavily upon on her, as evidenced by the throbbing pain that had her gripping her temples. Mavis let out a distressed groan, her ache mirroring the anguish that consumed within me.

Mavis, sensing the intensity of my distress, mustered the courage to inquire about what had transpired during her unfortunate unconsciousness.

"My head hurts, what happened?" she murmured, her voice laced with both confusion and discomfort.

Summoning every ounce of courage, I mustered the words that carried the weight of a heart-wrenching truth. "My precious babies," I uttered, my voice quivering with sorrow, "they have been kidnapped." Tears welled up in my eyes, cascading down my cheeks, each droplet an echo of the immeasurable grief that enveloped my soul.

"Oh Faith," Overwhelmed by the gravity of the situation, Mavis drew me closer, her embrace enveloping me in a vice-like grip that mirrored the strength of her compassion.

"Tell me, do you remember anything that happened before you passed out?" I questioned in desperation.

"Sadly, the only thing I remember is that I was in my room packing with my back turned towards the door and the kids playing in the living room when they suddenly became silent, the moment I went outside to see what's happened a black cloth came from behind and covered my nose before I passed out." Mavis said making me fight to hold in my tears.

"And that's all you remember?" A police officer interjected, standing by our side with a tone that carried a sense of concern and urgency.

Mavis nodded, her voice filled with a mix of frustration and confusion as she confirmed, "Yeah, that's everything I can recall." The officer swiftly scribbled down her statement, their pen moving across the notepad in a flurry of purpose before they walked away to continue their investigation.

Mavis's distress was notable, her voice tinged with disbelief as she voiced the burning question that tormented us both. "Who would want to do such a horrible thing?" Her words hung in the air, emphasizing the cruelty.

I remained silent, causing her eyes to widen in a mix of desperation and suspicion.

"What aren't you telling me, Faith?" Mavis questioned, her voice quivering as she wiped away tears that streamed down her face.

The weight of her inquiry rested heavily on my shoulders, urging me to reveal the undisclosed information that weighed on my conscience.

My gaze shifted momentarily, catching sight of Dante engrossed in a series of urgent phone calls, his presence comforting during my time of uncertainty.

"Why is our boss still here?" Mavis inquired, her voice laced with a tinge of surprise, as her eyes followed the direction of my gaze, landing on Dante.

My eyes darted back to Dante, his intense gaze locking with mine, causing a flurry of emotions to stir within me. The weight of his words settled heavily in the air as he revealed his plan.

"The cops will stay in contact with us. In the meantime, you'll be staying with me," he stated, his voice laced with authority. My eyes widened in surprise, my mind struggling to process the sudden turn of events.

Before I could gather my thoughts and formulate a response, Dante interjected swiftly, his tone taking on a hint of warning. "I would advise you to think twice before saying no. Whoever took my twins and is after you will likely return, and this place won't keep them away from you," he cautioned, his words cutting through the tension like a sharpened blade.